Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

:man_shrugging: I dunno! Everything else, including games, looks fine. I’ve even shut it down and rebooted etc. It’s not a huge deal but it’s weird.

the little vocal melody that plays here in the MGS intro:

I could have swore I’ve heard it in another game, or somewhere else? There is something so familiar about it for what is a very incidental piece of music in a long game.

I’m weirded out bc I had had that melody stuck in my head intermittently for like the last month, and then I fired MGS up out of a whim last night only to unexpectedly hear it here in the intro?? I feel like it’s in another PSX era konami game or maybe a SNES RPG? or is my brain fundamentally broken? or both???

2 Likes

I never knew that was from policenauts, but that’s not the piece of music I’m talking about! it’s the little chorale sounding piece that plays when snake is swimming up to the entry cavern.

That’s from the song that plays over the end credits to the game

1 Like
2 Likes

Trying to convince a stubborn engineer and I need some examples of games (preferably 3D action games) with directional camera shake – as in, you hit someone on their left, while swinging left-to-right, and the camera shakes towards the right, instead of generically.

Most games are generic (for example, God of War (2018) always uses up-to-down shakes).

Where’s the best place to stay in either downtown Seattle or the surrounding area? Preferably somewhere not flanked by Quiznos on all sides. I’m planning a trip to PAX in September. Any suggestions would be helpful!

is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines worth playing in 2019

probably no. The writing has a lot of shortcomings that can’t really be overcome by good choices/consequences and variable approaches to obstacles. There’s a lot of ridiculous 90s sexism because they were sticking close to the tone of the source material. The actual combat is pretty bad and the second half of the game is 90% combat.

It was good at the time but that was 15 years ago and you can mostly only see the flaws now as what was refreshing back then is commonplace now.

6 Likes

I played it in January and I love it for the hot garbage* it is. It’s incredibly janky without being completely broken and tied together with a CW-tier plot.

There were so many memorable moments for me that I’m glad I went through with it but I can understand why others wish they hadn’t. You can punch someone and watch them fly across the room. You can fight through hordes of enemies and never worry about health so long as you’re able to feed on one of them. Level and quest design always feel like bizarre, free-association inspired balls of yarn.

I will warn that depictions of women, mental illness, and Chinese are not in good taste.

*Garbage of a compulsive, oddly-appealing sort. You know, like Totino’s pizza rolls or anything else vampire related in the past thirty years.

5 Likes

Is there a discourse option to disable user avatars?

Seeing Elite Dangerous sparked a memory from my childhood of a dos shareware demo of a space flight game with VERY similar cockpit designs. I looked up the original Elite and Elite II and thats just not it but some of the ships are incredibly familiar. Elite is VERY close. I would have played it around 1992-3.

There were I believe 2 missions a dog fight carrier protection mission and an asteroid clearing mission. You are in a small craft. The graphics are poliginal like in ellite with split engines glowing on the back of the enemy ships. Unlike Elite there is no terrible music, and thee only colors are the black of space, the white of the stars and during the dog fight the ships are all in orange as though bathed in the setting sun and gray during the asteroid clearing mission. The radar is also a 3D globe rather than a flat disk. You could fire 4 or 6 homing poliginal missles and you have lasers that you can see shooting in the distance after you fire. The dog fight is espeically cinematic with all the lasers shooting everywhere and enemy formations swooping in and separating. The Astroid break up and spin off into smaller rocks with the larger ones taking many many laser blasts to break up.

It could just be a weird elite demo I suppose… Help?!

Was it Xiphos?

1 Like

If they bonded adamantium to Wolverine’s entire skeleton…

… why aren’t his teeth metal?

2 Likes

Teeth aren’t technically made out of bone despite having the same base ingredients. Teeth are a calcified tissue called dentine covered in a hardened enamel. Living bone is mostly collagen surrounded by a hardened calcium shell, or in Wolverine’s case adamantium.

My best guess would be that his skeleton has adamantium grafted onto it but his real mutant power is his regenerative healing ability, which is what would govern tooth growth. Or maybe they could have given him a metal grill when they were turning him into Weapon X but just chose not to.

5 Likes

what are the DOOM wads that are remakes of other games

i spent all night streaming the very excellent (somewhat troubled) castlevania one

at $30, is there there any real reason not to get a PS Classic as an HDMI-enable emulation box?

It’s less powerful than the equivalent, or only slightly more expensive, Raspberry Pi. Which will be way easier to setup and probably have upgrades and support longer.

2 Likes