Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I could watch it and I’m a foreigner in a foreign land

Foreign to my shores but not

to my heart

1 Like

It always catches me by surprise just how much the guy with the cue cards is a dead ringer for my high school German teacher.

looking for a youthbe documentary by a cool lady with a chill voice about why all the shitty youtube men are the same

Are they though? I guess many of them.

(I have never enjoyed watching tubers, at least the ones big selling a personality)

this definitely isn’t what you are talking about, but i couldn’t resist

I have never played Guilty Gear and the last non-Tag BlazBlue I played was Continuum Shift.

If I liked playing Noel in BBCS, is it likely that I would enjoy playing Elphelt in Xrd REV2?

When using the Switch in docked mode (or technically any older gen console that can at most output a 1080p signal) on a 4k TV and if the game actually runs at a 720p internal resolution, would setting the output resolution to 720p actually result in a better scaled image that’s clearer? Saw mentioned that at 1080p output it will first imperfectly scale the 720p image to 1080p and then the TV scales to 4k. At least if you let the TV do all the scaling then you don’t get any upscaling artifacts since 720p scales perfectly to 4k resolutions.

I think that’s one of those YMMV situations. As every scaler is different.

As a rough example: If I watch a DVD on my plasma TV, with output set for 480p resolution to the TV: My TV does a nice job of scaling the image. But, it doesn’t do anything to adjust color saturation or is pretty minimal on noise and artifact reduction. So the image ends up looking a bit stale and lacking warmth.

But if I set my PS3 or Sony Blu-ray player to output the DVD at 1080p: Sony’s scaling also adjust colors and other things. And the results are quite pleasing.

1 Like

Plotting my game course this year has worked well. Over the horizon?

• Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

0 voters

play DOS2 and more importantly read and enjoy my posts about it

2 Likes

I would recommend deadfire or D:OS 1 over either of those (original sin 2 is a bit bloated and dragonfall a little lean) fwiw

they’re all great though

is deadfire still worth a look if i couldn’t stand the first few hours of pillars 1

yes

I loathe the original and adore deadfire, it’s night and day

that I haven’t really seen this perspective written down too many places makes me :thinking: about critical coverage of CPRGs

Yeah I have a lacking in played overhead/isometric view CRPGs, kind of itching to explore one of the newer grade since they’ve been passing me by a while now.

in that case you could definitely do worse than dragonfall as a taster, but I’d recommend D:OS or deadfire immediately after and even maaaaybe in lieu of if it’s not grabbing you

Original Sin 2 is great but if it’s your first entry I would expect you to … not finish it and walk away feeling somewhat ambivalent, even if you had a good time

1 Like

I am going to play the fuck out of Battletech here soon

I definitely don’t agree with the PoE 1 vs 2 night and day angle since my experience with both has been extremely similar. I played 1 for a few hours, got bored. Came back after the expansion, got really into it for some reason (White March was great imo) then was excitedly looking forward to 2. Played a few hours of 2, got bored. Looking forward to picking it back up and it hopefully grabbing me now that all the DLC is out (whose model isn’t near as appealing to me as the big White March deal was).

I think 1 and 2 both are very dry games and you have to be extremely tuned into what they’re trying to do to get onboard, but if you do then hey they’re great.

the specific set of things that they improved between 1 and 2 made it seem like josh sawyer and I have extremely similar priorities for RPGs:

• I thought the combat in the first game was so boring that I was surprised they even shipped it (and then didn’t improve it at all for tyranny), given how inadequate (and generally unsatisfying) the “AI” toggles were and how many times you had to manually cast the same buff. and then 2 had fully customizable gambits! they’re endlessly interesting! you can have cross-class characters now!

• the first game seemed to take for granted that you wanted to play the most by-the-numbers CPRG story imaginable; you get some kind of ancient powers in an accident, you explore shitty little dark towns, you resolve curses, you fight skeletons, etc. once again I was almost shocked at how little effort was being made to deliver anything other than the most traditional-as-in-bad experience they could. 2 starts you out in a totally different world, wipes the slate completely clean so you don’t need to know anything (other than the cosmology of pillars’ weird warring gods, who are neat and who can be learnt on the fly), and then puts you in the middle of competing colonial factions in a story that’s actually nuanced in its portrayal of various evils! there are pirates! the world map is huge and not a series of crappy little maps that you click between!

• all of your companions in 1 are like “RPG guy” and “amiable deist” and all of your companions in 2 are like “blue oversexed demihuman”

2 Likes

POE2 is still not on consoles ;_;

by the time it comes out i will probably be ready for another one of these games

but in between im gonna need to play spiderman or some shit