Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

imo all jrpgs could benefit from a good “Level 0” hack

I have completely forgotten about this feature, but big if true

IIRC the… I wanna say either Diabolos or Doomtrain(?) GF has Encounter Rate 25%/50%/200% Down skills that you can acquire. There are also Encounter Rate Up skills that help for the endgame Island Closest to Hell hyperbolic time chamber grind. Hope you like Ochus

You mean as good

6 Likes

diablos has abilities Enc-Half and Enc-None, and you can get diablos pretty early in the game.

also due to FFVIII’s level scaling enemies, you’re probably only making the game easier for yourself by never leveling up. bosses don’t even give exp!

you just turn everything into cards okay

2 Likes

isn’t that a GF ability you can unlock (edit: oh I should have scrolled lower)

then turn cards into MAGIC

magic cards

2 Likes

my gf already plays magic

2 Likes

A friend of mine once made a crack about how the reason a mutual friend had such furious hatred for Final Fantasy VIII was because “he can’t get a GF” and it was really goddamn funny.

1 Like

More like guardian farce

…more like

Gradius Face

:moaineon::moaineon::moaineon::moaineon::moaineon::moaineon:

3 Likes

that looks really funky behind the spoiler filter

2 Likes

I feel like I shouldn’t have omitted the friend who “can’t get a GF” was basically a fedora-and-chivalry “nice guy” and whined about being “friendzoned” like 10 years ago. (This guy is no longer my friend. The burn is still great.)

3 Likes

18 Likes

this reading actually makes the scene where she thought he was attracted to her much funnier because she’s like, constantly dangling this over the poor kid and his mind is going in circles but he fails to associate any of his tortured headspace with his instructor repeatedly sexually harassing him

"dammit … no … never going to have someone of my own to take care of and to cherish … can’t do anything … oh it’s Quistis again, I wonder what she wants … "

@toups This is from an old topic but can you expand on this? I can’t find anything online about RNG in the Great Palace.

1 Like

There’s no RNG at play time, so I assume Toups is talking about prebaked procedural generation

It would certainly explain the uniquely mazelike layout. I can’t think of another platformer level where I got so lost

EDIT: I can’t find any source supporting the idea of prebaked procedural, either. To fit large maps in limited ROM, Zelda 2 and NES Metroid levels are based on big ~screen-sized tiles that can be repeated. This is similar to a common procedural method and the result is reminiscent, but I haven’t found any evidence that it was literally laid out by an algorithm.

1 Like

mortal kombat 11 looks stupid good

yeah i don’t think it’s randomly generated, I think I’m just really bad at zelda II

4 Likes

I’ve certainly never got through the last palace without a map by my side.

1 Like