Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Never played Anno except for the first one but I can confirm that Settlers had combat

My desktop PC from 2011 died. What’s the best way to get rid of it?

if that’s like a 2500k or something then parting it out is going to be far enough north of worthless

Maybe? On ebay the total sale value for both my 2600k + my mobo is <$150 if they’re tested and working and I’m not sure how I can test them (practically speaking).

My 970ti is easier to test and fetches ~$150 but I think that’s the only thing worth selling.

Am I missing an easy way to test my mobo / cpu?

Yeah, I think having the items be persistent, would be a pretty great overall “fix” for issues I have with carry weight. I mean, you still have to fight your way back to the items you left behind. So its not a free pass. It would then be cool if invaders could come in and loot your dropped stuff.

Demon’s Souls had a further incentive to stretch your preparedness Vs. Carry weight: If you beat a boss and then do not return to the nexus, but instead move directly to the next section and beat that boss too: You get an extra bonus towards white world tendency, than if you had first gone to the Nexus, before meeting the next boss. and i think the bonus stacks each time your skip returning to the nexus. Such that a 3 boss run would probably put you in full white. I don’t remember, exactly.

And don’t forget the stakes: you can’t move toward white world tendency, unless you beat a boss while you are in human form. But not returning to the Nexus after a boss fight, means you might have a harder time staying alive and keeping your human form (which gives you full health capacity and more damage output). And stones of ephemeral eyes aren’t always the most plentyful. So, regaining your humanity isn’t always trivial.

I can mail you a 2120T so you can isolate which failed if you want

I have also eBayed parts in this situation without being able to test and just figured I’d refund no questions asked if I had to

2 Likes

Why did FFVIII’s Junction system get such a bad reputation at the time? Having played through the tutorial last night, it seems like it was explained adequately… so I don’t see why people claim to have been confused by it…?

1 Like

you can totally break the game over your knee five minutes in with junctions

this is my favourite thing about the game honestly

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the primary thing that drew me to playing this game in the first place. It’s a feature, not a bug.

3 Likes

You can’t rest at an Inn to recover all your magic

I’m going to blame the game for making you think this would be your primary source of magic.

4 Likes

It’s not? I got 8 with a million other PS1Squeenix games via PSN and the slow pace turned me off probably all of them

Worth mentioning: the amount of spells you receive via the Draw command in battle is influenced your Magic stat. If it’s low, you’ll only get 2 or 3. At 100, you’ll always draw 9 per turn

Also, not every spell is useful. Don’t feel obligated to max out on every spell that comes along. Some are ONLY useful for junctioning. Some are only good for casting. Some aren’t any good for either!

Always check every new enemy for new stuff to draw. If a draw target is being particularly stubborn and keeps failing, it might be a new GF, so keep trying.

2 Likes

When is someone gonna machine learning upscale the backgrounds in FFVIII

There’s already a fully fledged HD mod for IX that upscales the FMVs too!

Am I gonna have to do this myself??

1 Like

ok never mind it does exist I’m just bad at googling apparently

I think it’s more that emphasizing drawing & junctioning completely changes overall battle flow. You want to prolong battles until you draw everything you need, and then skip all the other battles cause they’re pointless. If you’re coming off a long jrpg and especially FF tradition of “press X to fight everything as quickly as possible” this is like exactly the opposite strategy, and the game doesn’t do enough to signpost the 180-degree turn for old fans.

this is just another reason why it’s a shame they lost the source code. we’re never gonna get the “turn off random battles” button

I actually like FFVIII’s in-game mechanic to turn off random battles!

look no one is saying final fantasy viii doesn’t have enormous hilarious flaws but that’s all part of the charm.

and besides that you don’t have to play the game like a psychopath to have a good time with it. it plays perfectly fine if you play it like a normal final fantasy game. you just have to do the work of keeping up with junctions and GFs and all that like you would espers or materia or what have you. the biggest problem with viii is that the junction system is comparatively complicated and relatively obtuse, but it still isn’t as bad as like any given saga game.

I think it just comes down to perceptions. Spending time grinding and drawing spells to pump your stats, is probably about the same amount of time it takes to grind battles for Gil to buy Materia to pump your stats.

For me, 8’s only real gameplay problem, is the repetitive stress injury inducing system they put in place to boost GF summon damage.

3 Likes