Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

The PC/PS4 rereleases are flatout better than the Intl Zodiac Jorb PS2 version, but it is debatable if the job system is an improvement over the original. The Remasters let you combine jobs, so it’s really interesting and limited as opposed to just straight up limited. I wish there was an option to respec, but whatever… Start a new game or something idk.

I went into Remaster hoping itd fix issues I had with the original. It fixed some, but not the big ones. It’s a solid-er game, but it’s not great yet (prob won’t be ever :()

1 Like

the original looks fantastic running in PCSX2 at high resolutions though

it’s a very nice upscale with the original assets

2 Likes

I agree, it looks better in PCSX2

2 Likes

I remember it looking incredible running on my fat PS3

I am kind of into the way you’re stuck with just one job in the international zodiac edition. seems like it would produce a more interesting challenge. and I’m into class restrictions in role playing games! it’s more immersive to me.

1 Like

Maybe? I’d like to find out if that’s true. I do not have 40hrs of my life to devote to a flawed game for that knowledge, tho. Those first few hours maybe, but… The gameplay doesn’t open up fast enough tho… God I have such conflicted feelings for this game. Balthier and Fran rule so hard.

Whatever you do, play it with fast forward.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s much much better with fast forward

All rpgs should have fast forward

(or maybe rpgs should just be less tedious)

6 Likes

I will shout out Deadfire here again, which is one of the only RTwP RPGs which I think totally works on both a narrative and systems level and doesn’t outstay its welcome (and has fast forward)

1 Like

That has been on my mind to get back to for months

I’d previously dismissed the PS1-era Final Fantasy ports to current gen consoles as just real cheap ports of their respective PC versions. I still feel like that’s true! However, what I didn’t know was that they came with a similar fast forward function like FFXII:ZJE did that just boosts things up to x3 speed, even speeding up text boxes but leaves music and sound effects playing at regular speeds. That counts for a whole lot!

Is this something that you can replicate in the original PS1 versions on modern emulators? Frameskip has always been there of course but that garbles all sounds a whole lot. I’m guessing you’d need to combine it with some sort of Cheat Engine codes to make it work right?

2 Likes

yeah, I’m not aware of an emulator that can fast forward without ruining the music. It’s a shame. It would be quite difficult to implement.

can anyone recommend if those… braided? USB cables are actually any more durable than the vanilla ones with just the heat shrink? i’d really like a cable i can use with my controllers that’ll last. the heat shrink always breaks apart where the connector and the wire meet on either end and the wires start to fray, so then my controller winds up constantly disconnecting while i’m trying to do a stupid fucking floating platform puzzle in goddamn brightis.

there’s an undub iso of the original non zodiac ff12

1 Like

I’m trying to repair a 2010 MacBook Pro for a friend.

It’s having a ton of trouble with the memory. Like the memory seems to be working on and off at random.

I’m trying some newer RAM in there but if anything that just seemed to make the issue worse.

Does anyone have any tips on the best strategies for successfully slotting RAM into here? Is this just dirty contacts? Is this a totally unfixable problem?

Seriously, I need some help here.

if it’s not just working then yeah the contacts or something else on the board must be failing

2 Likes

is there a way to get crt filters on dosbox games, and is there something as good as the royale filter in retroarch but instead of for tv’s for a 1992 pc monitor

1 Like

I mean for dosbox by itself, not retroarch

1 Like

https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/dosbox-crt
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

the dosbox libretro core apparently supports midi now (now, as in a year ago?).

crt-royale would still be the best way to go for simulation of the dot-style shadow mask typical of pc monitors but accurate simulation requires higher res output (like over 4kish(?), for 240p and then up from there) than the more geometrically regular/simple slot shadow masks of a typical post-70s(?) tv and simplest sony aperture grilles.

3 Likes

I don’t know what heat shrink is but I have braided usb cables by volutz in heavy use. I bought a pack on Amazon because they were cheap and one of the cables included is 2 meters long. I don’t see them breaking any time soon, they still look great. Had them for about a year. They are often accidentally sat and slept on because they’re lying around on the couch where my girlfriend and I use tablet, phones and vaporizers. One I use for the gamepad and it’s in just the same great shape.

I have to add that I’ve never had a cable break on me before, braided or not! So our experiences might not match

I never thought that accurate CRT emulation would be the thing that motivates me to consider a 4k display, but here we are :frowning:

10 Likes