Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Yep, they were official ports, but unfortunately I cannot find any information regarding their quality. For example, I wonder how much difference using the joypad instead of a mouse could make.

they actually supported the playstation mouse if I’m not mistaken

they were quite rare but pretty decent, they were released early in the console’s lifespan, I’ve only ever seen one physical copy

they run better than the 68k amiga version

Thanks. From your answer, it sounds like I should try the pc version, in if I wanted to play them (I cannot imagine me attaching a mouse to the PS Vita :smiley: )

I played through the first XCom in DOSBox pretty happily on a single-core android phone back in 2011, so I don’t think you’ll have that bad of a time!

(though I had played the game before and I was mindful of the limitations)

there is a ps vita port of the modern day xcom

Well if it’s any help it’s got almost 5/5 ratings on the various rom sites. But yeah I played through the original Xcom twice, once on the PC and once on my android phone (with touch inputs only, no peripherals). Both were spectacular experiences! I have this game picked as one of the very best I ever played, talking about Tetris levels of genius here. (Kinda funny that the idea for Tetris was taken from a board game and Xcom feels like it could have been one too - and I don’t especially like real board games)

Oh and if you decide to play on a phone, the modern remake/-boot is on there too! It’s the full PC/Console game with Enemy Within expansion. It feels just glorious to wreck alien shit with mechs in that!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I will use Dosbox on Android too, I didn’t think about that option.

Regarding the modern XCOM versions, I played Enemy Within (the “expanded” version) on Android and it was indeed a great experience.

1 Like

Oh… I have just found this interesting project:
https://openxcom.org/about/
They are remaking the original with a bit more accessibility, apparently.

1 Like

When I was into original XCOM for a while there were several projects being developed to fix bugs, add optional features and to make it more compatible with modern machines. Don’t think OpenXcom was around then but according to the wiki at least it looks like the various options from the two main mods, UFOextender and XcomUtil, have actually been integrated into OpenXcom which probably makes it the best way to play these days?
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Mods_(OpenXcom)

I know I at one point actually even found a guide going through each single option of these mods one by one and rated how much they either felt it simply improved the game’s accessibility or actually radically changed the game balance.
Speaking of the PS1 version, I think one of the only notable features of that version is that it had a redbook audio soundtrack as opposed to the original MIDI. Thankfully though most mods have options though to add this audio to the PC game.

2 Likes

What I meant is that Terror From The Deep didn’t have an official release on PSN, so getting it on a Vita would take Hackery.

XCOM on Vita is pretty good! Load times are bad, that’s my only complaint.

2 Likes

oh yeah, the load times are horrific

1 Like

Would you be able to find that guide?

which version of final fantasy xii should I play

either the original release or one of the upcoming ones which it sounds like will finally fix the hamfisted job system in the existing rereleases

what is wrong with the job system in the zodiac age version exactly?

felix hates it but i think it’s kind of nice at best and inoffensive at worst and by the end of the game it doesn’t really make any difference anyway

if playing it on a ps4 is appealing then zodiac age is good imo

plus the last couple fights in the optional added arena thing are fucking wild

1 Like

I’m including the upcoming switch version in my options

1 Like

Seems like a chill game to play portable so if I had a Switch I’d probably go with that

only thing wrong with the job system is that you can’t reassign them once set, which the XBone and Switch versions fix (but not the PS4 and PC versions), so I’d go with one of those

2 Likes

I bounced off of FFXII after really giving it a good shot a year ago or so. It’s just too boring for me even though I respect it’s character depth and pace. So I’m looking forward to what your reactions are doing to be