Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

if you’re ever in the market for chill dadaist meditations on whether seahorses are fish while someone plays old SNES games/romhacks, I might know a guy

1 Like

I mean I’m equipped to do this but

4 Likes

I don’t think you really understand the gravity of what you think you want, etc.

8 Likes

Woah, you’d do a really excellent job of that, perhaps almost TOO REAL. I’d watch.

Maybe you could play while shrug talks.

very zen but intellectual slow-runs of games that could really last forever are things i have always wanted to see on twitch/wherever

2 Likes
11 Likes

i will never not love that video being linked in any context.

What are the favored Armored Core games, besides For Answer? Never played them before i wanna try one

Felix was a big fan of 5 and Verdict Day, but both are so dependent on the online that was never super there to begin with that at this point, they aren’t worth it.

I didn’t play much before 4, so i don’t know what the definitive PS1/PS2 era ones were.

If you are going to play 4 or 4a, play the Xbox versions if at all possible because they are much better on frame rate.

1 Like

3 is pretty good

is there an early showa-era themed eroguro mecha anime with panic at the disco on the soundtrack

1 Like

More post-showa but Gasaraki-GANTZ AMV: no results found

1 Like

All I remember about Gasaraki was its rad-ass OP.

4 Likes

Gasaraki is rad all around.

1 Like

oddly, the only thing i remember of it is the awesome ed

3 Likes

Watching parts again recently I know why 2003 me found some eps dry as hell, but the military industry, slight Eva by way of Shinto stuff eventually pays off. It’s really a very detailed political story that weaves in, then eventually gets very spirit-scienced. Deep ancestry, cool ass realish mecha. Been ages since dvd binge PS2 nights would binge again.

Saved some board conversation years back:

Gasaraki isn’t so much rightwinged as it just raises a few issues regarding the awkward position Japan faced in the 90’s, such as the checkbook diplomacy utilized during the Gulf War.

Nishida’s plan is arguably rooted in the relationship the Japanese domestic rice economy has with the world stage. To quote Wikipedia’s brief article on Japanese rice production:

>As part of the government’s control of rice, rice imports are banned except in processed forms. Also, because of the disproportionate political power wielded by farmers, rice production is subsidized by the government. This aggravated trade frictions between Japan and the United States. Tokyo’s rationale for the ban is that self-sufficiency in rice is important for food security purposes. In addition domestic farm groups have long maintained that rice cultivation is part of Japanese culture. Hayami (1988) argued that Japanese consumers have become more tolerant of high rice prices because their food expenditure as a ratio of total expenditure has declined as their incomes rise(Hsu, 1994). Surprisingly, consumer groups have not actively supported the lifting of the ban in order to reduce the rice price. The main reason is reportedly the Japanese consumers’ demand for “high-quality” rice. Surveys do indicate that consumers believe that foreign rice tastes bad.

There’s also some interesting stuff about the rice scene in the mid-90’s; Japan experienced a shortage crisis in 1994 which led to the opening of the market to foreign rice. Digging through some other material apparently prices for various grain products spiked in the early 90’s as well, which falls in line with Gasaraki’s what-if scenario for the second half wherein really crummy grain harvests worldwide begin to create friction between nations, leading towards Nishida coming in and essentially going “we either suffer together now, or we crash and burn as one, and I will gladly bet on Japan surviving an economic crash,” more or less.

4 Likes

Has anybody played XCom Ufo Defense (aka Terror from the deep) for the PSOne? If so, how is it compared to the original pc releases?
I never played one, but I have a Vita and it could be a nice way to play it on a small screen.

Terror from the Deep is the second Xcom, so the sequel to Ufo Defense. Just wanted to point that out. EDIT: (you probably meant “aka Enemy Unknown” because that was the European name of the first game) I’ve never played either on PSX but now I also wonder what they could have fucked up with those games. They seem like pretty easy ports…

I didn’t even know that came out on PS1! I’m assuming this is using some hackery?

Wikipedia says they’re official! I’m surprised too