Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

I don’t know much about minecraft but based on what I know about desktop Java I’d suggest you just reconsider the whole plan

(less unhelpfully: I can’t imagine there being any real cpu limitations for any game you’d play on one of these for the foreseeable future)

I wish Notch had reconsidered using Java for Minecraft in the first place! I wish Notch had reconsidered a lot of things. That’s a different thread though.

The only differences I can see between the 2600 and the 2600X is a 0.2GHz clock speed increase and a 30W power draw increase. Is that worth an extra 20bux? It doesn’t seem like it from here…

that’s more about the overclocking headroom than the stated clocks

you’d have to look at the in depth reviews there to see how you feel about it

SelectButton

2 Likes

Uh, you live in the land of the Microcenter, right? See if they still have the $80 1600s and the $30 motherboard deal. I picked up a motherboard and processor for $130 and mailed it to Toups a couple of weeks ago.

You’re moving on two axes, thread count (up to the 1700) and clock speed/OC headroom (2600, 2600x). For non-productivity, threads aren’t going to do you much good, but AMD has a deficit vs. Intel for “instructions per clock” or how much work it does per ghz.

1 Like

OH DANG

To clarify, by $30 motherboard deal I mean $30 off a matched motherboard, which meant the $70 one was $40, hence $120 + tax.

Budget for DDR4 RAM, too, you won’t bring over the DDR3 sticks.

Caught a bit of a Patrick Miller stream and he mentioned a “five move pai” article written by David Sirlin back when VF4 was still actively being played about how to play a decent Pai using only 5 moves. Anyone know where I could find this? Google isn’t being helpful.

What VPN

I recall there being a “let’s make a game in April” thread here that I can no longer find and, well, April starts tomorrow.

2 Likes

I wanted to post there too because it’s just past midnight here… The thread was supposed to move forums but I think the axe swallowed it instead due to inactivity. @jsnlv?

I just now realized that probably no one explained the axe to you yet, Hache

Yeah, sorry, the last couple weeks kept me busier than I expected. I’ll fish the thread back out!

1 Like

Actually I just forgot that it was in The Axe.

1 Like

Are there any let’s play videos of Animal Crossing games by really introspective, calm, and melancholy people? I want to watch a 35 year old poet smoking a cigarette and talking with their animals.

2 Likes

Not quite it but closest I’ve found so far, a really wholesome and nice lady enjoys the game with relaxed enthusiasm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQH_NKZrug

2 Likes

I basically want solemn Proustian meditations on memory while someone plays an old gamecube game. That’s what I want please.

3 Likes

ASMR: Solemn Marcel Proust plays Animal Crossing While Eating Madeleine Cookies

1 Like

Sometimes you have to be the streamer you want to see in the world

8 Likes

hmm, that is kind of tempting

I’m going to have to read some Proust first

2 Likes