Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

E:D is really cool but be prepared for a very steep controls-learning curve

How does it compare to something like TIE Fighter? That’s my current frame of reference.

Tie fighter and wing commander are on the arcadey end of space flight sims and elite is more on the simmy end

You also have to be self-directed; combat scenarios occur systemically, missions are just loose frameworks to get you to move between procedurally generated spaces. It’s the same subgenre as No Man’s Sky, which is an arcadey space sim.

I basically wanna be a space trucker. Can I be a space trucker?

that is almost all you can be, really.

Oh most certainly. It’s on the dry end of the shipping/merchant thread in these sorts of games. You’ll enjoy it if the honesty of scale of space and detail in ship bits keeps you occupied.

No, the dry end is Objects in Space

In a modern context, I’d say the interface-focus of Objects in Space is flavorful; it’s a departure from expectations and frames the game around surprising presentation. Part of the aesthetic flavor then is retro-themed, a computer-specific memory context.

Duskers seems like a similar case:

Maybe Adam Saltsman’s Capsule is the extreme edge of this? It’s graphical but intentionally abstract from the world it represents:

And, hey, they care enough that they even tried to get you off the ship and onto space stations! Elite casts it outside its core and irrelevant to the base astronomical geography core.

I played Objects in Space at PAX one year on this big honkin custom console/controller with all kinds of satisfying clicky pushy buttons and blinkenlights, that was literally the only thing I can remember about that whole trip to the convention. That’s probably the reason I’d buy it, to build a fancy controller for it and never finish

did anyone here play metroid: samus returns? is there anything good about it?

It starts out fine, but the reaction based combat system becomes a real chore about halfway through the game. If the entire game wasn’t built on backtracking, it probably would have been fine.

It also goes without saying the story and vibe are completely off as a remake of Metroid II. Much more like a bland Super Metroid riff than an actual remake.

Still I 100% cleared it. The first half had me going ‘this is pretty good!’ and the tedium took a while to set in.

I loved AM2R and even after the mostly meh thoughts I’ve heard on Samus Returns I’m still curious for the sake of contrast.

Everything about Metroid’s future will be better, ahem more interesting the further they can get away from the Super trope mold.

Why do so many people want the Metroid series to abandon the Metroid genre

Might as well say Sonic would be better if they could just get away from all the speed and branching paths

Tetris would be great if it weren’t for all the blocks

Hard disagree weird comparison!

Extended universe can be an over stretching approach for some franchises but Metroid’s is one of the ripest for it.

Since it grew into having a large vein of detail, narrative, and more background to planets, races, the federation, technology, etc etc

The games aren’t really all about floaty jellyfish energy suckers and experiments people have done with them gone awry, it can be dropped

*clarifying: I mean, not just Metroids as the creatures but green area, water area, red area, chozo ruins, same range of power ups…

As hostile mystery is key to Metroid’s skein,

detail and extended universes and world building is directly detrimental to it

As much as I suspect I am The Super Metroid Apologist, I do feel like using it as the start and end of the conversation happens too often when it comes to action adventure games.

Like an Untitled Story and Knytt, Blaster Master and from the look of things, Hollow Knight do some stuff different but are still big games about figuring out and exploring worlds.

Metroid II is a really interesting game because it takes a lot of the ideas of Metroid, reconfigured and recontextualises the ideas, and goes some different places.

And I say this as a person who would adore a new game with a similar structure to Super Metroid but refined even further.

And plus in this case it’s a remake of Metroid II. I’d love to see a super tense, freaky, dark journey remixed with some new ideas. But Returns feels pretty homogenous and like a thousand other games like it lacking in more than one new idea.

For me it boils down to Samus Aran, in a place like this, doing these same things. It’s tired.

Maybe EU isn’t the best term; what I’m talking about is extending the reasons, the settings, the cultures, the environments. The tech, the moves. That’s why I like a lot of the later Prime stuff that at least feels different in 3D.

Return to less narrative even, that’s probably ideal.

Ah, I think we’re not actually disagreeing. When I hear extended universe I think of the steady accretion of Canon through comics, narrative delivered in games. The work of Other M, the plaque that eventually chokes something dry.

But an argument for loose tales spinning out without regard for the past, the freedom to build, while holding onto a few carefully chosen and interpreted icons – yes. And furthermore it’s how I believe all iconic pop culture should be handled. It’s why I instinctively recoil at the attempts to sort and order Zelda games that literal-minded fans insist on (and Nintendo has been canny enough to largely ignore).

I replayed Metroid Prime recently and was impressed by how well it’s held up. I still feel like it’s be a fun VR game. Lowkey hoping that nintendo will release a switch port alongside the LABO VR thing.

hoping against my better judgement that 4 is actually good