Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

The only reason to have it is if you want to use Shadowplay, but OBS is a better option anyway.

1 Like

automatic driver updates + moonlight

1 Like

every so often, Nvidia drivers like to make fans not work so I wouldn’t trust autoupdates because of that, nevermind the principle of locking any part of the feature set of your purchase behind a login

1 Like

it’s windows, I’m obliged to take any opportunity I get to work around the embarrassing state of package management

1 Like

Since the first week of owning my (now 4 year old) laptop GeForce Experience has never been able to successfully update the drivers idk

1 Like

I get that Windows is bad at keeping track of shit but is it really that hard to check Nvidia’s website once a month seeing as they release a new driver for every goddamn game

I don’t know, I don’t make a new fire every time I want to heat my house

2 Likes

are we seriously comparing stoking a fire in a fireplace with a driver update right now

It’s my favorite of the programs you can leave running to have console-style DVR; if you enable desktop recording you can use it to grab windowed stuff or tutorials with a single hotkey at 60fps. Ansel screenshots are neat because they enable clip cam in games that otherwise wouldn’t let you.

Afterburner will do the video capture stuff and even supports using NVENC and can do upto 120 fps

Ansel is neat, I guess

I don’t want the capture stuff (I imagine I’ll know when I do) and I think i can handle the manual driver management. my general attitude towards gfx drivers is “if it ain’t broke…” which usually means I check for new drivers when I feel like my FPS is low in some game or other

another question, how do I best handle updating the GeForce drivers on this laptop that hasn’t been updated since 2017? GTX 850m, I have the latest driver downloaded and ready to install, just wondering whether I have to install a bunch of others as well. since the latest driver is one of the “GameReady” ones and I don’t know whether it will include all the updates I need. sorry yall i’m noob at this

edit: i just installed latest driver, so far so good

You can do Ansel in any game that supports it without having GeForce Experience installed. I don’t think there’s any interaction.

1 Like

Oh nice, I thought it was part of the Shadowplay frame.

Everything was fine in unity last night but now there’s weird glitchy shadow artifacts all over my mesh

I didn’t even close it or anything between then and now, I just got up in the middle of work and fell into bed

Anyone else ever experience this?

I in my madness decided to pull out my Magic Joy Box 3 in 1 and my gamecube controller and play gamecube games with a gamecube controller. Crazy! Problem is that um…well, the controller I guess??? was doubling as command keys. So Z + Y and Z + B lowered and raised my laptops volume. L + R + Z was functionally the same as Alt + F4 and Dolphin having a prompt on close was the only thing stopping it. I tabbed over and sure enough L-R-Z made firefox and winamp close.

Searching Windows 10 Game Controller Volume just gave me Windows 10 Volume Control Settings. Thanks search engines!

And yes I was trying to play Twin Snakes. Thanks Dennis Dyyac you made me discover weird settings and you’re a right wing hack.

1 Like

have to imagine that’s something specific to how your laptop maps media keys (and it’s still quite weird as there isn’t a concept of like “USB device 1 button 7” that’s reserved by the system in windows which any generic controller should be able to provide input to)

1 Like

http://www.castle-vidcons.com/2013/08/23/comic-116-no-mention/

he is good at one thing, and that one thing is being terrible

just occurred to me it may also be steam doing this, from my experience of trying to play fifa on my gamevice last night and realizing I was getting an alt+enter when I tried to do a hard pass because it was somehow (I think) mapping it as a 360 controller as a steam controller.

so the new toejam and earl is verboten, yeah?