Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

The Nighthawk is the best of Netgear’s offerings as far as support goes, usually gets priority on firmware. It’s also very popular so the openwrt support is good. Can’t speak to the ASUS, sorry.

An insidious trend in routers are retailer-specific models that appear similar to ordinary ones but have worse components like a fucking mattress store.

1 Like

Huh? This is a router feature? I’ve always just put the same ssd on both bands and devices move back and forth depending on which is stronger

Yeah, some routers don’t play nice with using the same ssid. It’s also some (basic) traffic management on the router’s part.

There can be bandswitching smarts on either side. Some devices are pretty dumb and will always prefer 2.4 over 5 (or vice versa) as long as there is any signal strength at all in their preferred band. Routers can deny the weaker signal to force them into the good one.

sext: I withhold the wide spectrum

2 Likes

so this totally did not work, for the reasons that @km articulated and I should have read more carefully

this device is simply a memory card reader and does not support cardbus

I have a clearer understanding of what my needs are now and they are this:

the audio interface must be configured via the cardbus. once it is configured I can use it without being hooked up to the cardbus.

however, the interface does not have internal memory, so any settings written to the firmware will be lost if power is disconnected. so I will need a way to reset the configuration periodically.

ideally, if I could get my macbook talking to the card, that would be the easiest. is this remotely possible?

if not, I will probably need an laptop with a working PCMCIA and windows XP.

is finding such a thing feasible in 2019? I have my ancient ass laptop from 2005 or so that I’m pretty sure has a card slot. I haven’t had a chance to see if it even still boots, but I wonder how difficult it would be to refurbish it to a bare bones windows machine that would basically serve as a terminal for this interface.

edit: in a pinch I guess I could snag something like this for like $50. lol?

I guess this isn’t really a quick question anymore lol

I mean this in an earnest fashion: why are you interested in that old audio interface? I know you have an ear for very specific audio textures; does it have a aural character that you like?

It has extremely high quality audio conversion and is dramatically cheaper than anything in its league (probably because of the obsolete connectivity, but I’m kind of stuck with it now)

1 Like

honestly, these things still fetch a pretty decent price on ebay so I’m wondering if I might be better off selling it and getting another rack of lucid converters

This is $$$ but it’s thunderbolt and specifically mentions your card http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

1 Like

nice find! this might be a decent option. fucked up that it’s cheaper to buy a mid 2000’s laptop tho

1 Like

I mean I think $100 of utility cost differential there is probably about right tbh

I love finding new parts of the cottage industry of “well it turns out someone still makes this hardware in a way that is supported on a modern mac”

Hold on, expresscard and cardbus are two very different things

That adapter is an expresscard adapter, and is compatible with the expresscard variant of the RME bus adapter http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_expresscard.php

Not the cardbus one you have
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdsp_cardbus_interface.php

2 Likes

hahaha technology owns

3 Likes

yeah it’s PCI : PCIe iirc

1 Like

What’s the general consensus w/ hidnsight on Dark Souls 2 (w/ SOTFS)? I’ve basically played DS1, DS3, Nioh and Bloodbourne to death and I’m still hungry for more, but I remember playing it as it came out and not being much of a fan of the way it seemed to take all of the wrong lessons from Demons/DS1. Is it worth revisiting?

I love dark souls 2. it’s weird as hell and creepy and ugly and beautiful. and the story is amazing imo.

I don’t think it takes the wrong lessons from the franchise. it just has its own kind of difficulty, and it’s fine once you adapt to it. don’t go into it expecting it to be the same kind of experience as dark souls 1 or bloodborne. it’s definitely a “B” game and has some serious flaws but honestly I found it to be a much more memorable experience than DS3.

2 Likes

it’s definitely weirder and more uneven than any other game in the series and I have no idea which of its many editions is supposed to be preferable let alone “definitive” but if you post here and like the others I can’t imagine not getting something out of it

2 Likes

Those D620s were super common and are a good choice, though imo a little crappier than its Thinkpad contemporary, the T60

1 Like