Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Bloodlines is the correct answer imo

1 Like

yeah bloodlines is also great
and hey all of us ageing british posters love the megadrive

3 Likes

So the consensus seems to be that any early 90s entry is a good point? I suppose I’ll go with ease of emulation first. Many thanks!

1 Like

I feel like I’m being called out, having played Bloodlines when it was new

let us know how you get on

A single tear rolls down my cheek when I think of Castlevania 64

2 Likes

Basically, the pre-Symphony of the Night games are a different series, mechanically. Old Castlevania’s modern descendent is the Souls series. Another way to put this is: don’t run through. Plant your feet, evaluate that sine-wave enemy, and time your strike. The stiff movement, slow-to-start attack are purposefully designed to make you less reactive and more intentional.

That’s why I suggest Castlevania 1 to start: it has the clearest illustration of these ideals. The 16-bit games have a mild identity crisis as they aren’t sure how smooth to become while preserving the stiff design.

2 Likes

64 is underrated imo

it’s like a better vision of what 3D castlevania should be than any of igarashi’s attempts imo

1 Like

Rondo is revered I think because it nails this balance perfectly.

2 Likes

But yes I’d second starting with the first game. Really, play them all after that point, in any order. They are all good in different ways.

Is Sprint Vector good on the PSVR? It’s $12 right now and I’m loading on up VR stuff during all the sales

So that’s a suggestion for the nes, not the sharp/psx remake?

Yes it’s good. Great even. I wish there were people playing online though. It’s also very good exercise

1 Like

Someone else will have to chime in on the ports/remakes but there’s nothing in Castlevania 1 that needs fixing.

Here’s one of the better analyses of CV1’s level design (and not coincidentally it’s from a forum alum):
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/869/good_games_bad_design__episode_.php?print=1

1 Like

I think cv3 is egregious but agree with the other reccs

1 Like

Haunted Castle is a bad first stage where the damage is ramped way the fuck up, indulging in the worst of Konami arcade tendencies and the rest of the game being just Big Sprite Castlevania

It’s me, I like CV64 and Lament of Innocence (imagine my surprise upon discovering that Smash Ultimate has a remix of the title track from the latter)

Thanks for linking this. It’s been ages since I read it, but having replayed the NES trilogy fairly recently it really crystallizes a lot of the problems I have with CV3.

(I think he’s being a little hard on 3 here, though it really really got on my nerves last I played it. Really need to try the Famicom version someday)

1 Like

OTOH, Castlevania: The Arcade is my favorite Wii game lol

Honestly, I do really like it tho

Hi I agree with Tulpa CV3 is too hard and literally punishing the player.

1 Like

hello what are some good music player things on android? i have a new phone and would want something better than the standard google one.

just an app that’s simple and (if possible) ad-free