Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

i do! i definitely remember seeing a tiny little space invaders game like that

What would you say is the line between firmware and software?

“running” the firmware is inseparable from using the device, unlike running the software

1 Like

Ahhh, the key is that those are called favicons. The seminal example seems to be Defender of the Favicon from 2008. It doesn’t play well with high pixel density, alas.

Firmware is stored on a low-capacity medium supporting fast reads and extremely slow writes. It is changeable but hard to change, i.e. “firm” not “hard” or “soft”.

3 Likes

I have a Neo Geo AES that outputs garbled graphics. These dudes on Neo-Geo dot com said I likely need a new RAM chip or something. That was 2 years ago and I’m afraid I’ll get flamed if I bump that thread so uh I’m asking here instead: anyone know where I can get “8K x 8 rams” so I can sell this big fuckin’ machine and move on with my life.

has anyone played the new battle royale mode in CS GO?

there’s a lot of little things I half want to try right now but I haven’t really had the time or the enthusiasm, I’ve never really touched GO but I have in my in head that I like CS mechanics well enough

1 Like

It has a diegetic map and buy menu in the form of a tablet your dude holds out and that’s really all you need to know for it to be worth its existence.

Aside from that it’s just a hilarious joke about the concept of staying relevant that they’re still boldly putting out this upscaled early-Xbox-360 content.

I’m honestly pretty OK with CS continuing to be just barely updated and patched so that it’s still reognizably the same game from 1999

plus like if you want to see what a modernized and redesigned CS would actually be like there’s always Siege

Oh yeah, I’m not complaining at all, CS:GO’s datedness puts a big dumb smile on my face every time I boot it.

The BR also only has a max of 16-18 players and a small map so it’s more like a one-life deathmatch. I’ll need to play it more.

Controller support being patch soon - 2014.

Pretty sure all my quick questions have been “I bought a thing I don’t know how to use, help?!” - but!

I got a video capture kit that just grabs whatever’s on screen and records it to microSD in 16:9. The stuff I’m recording is 4:3, but (naturally) comes through with black bars on the sides.

So! Is there any good software for editing those bars out? I gotta imagine there’s an easy way to set some parameters and crop all of it out?

That or I guess I can add some siiiiick overlays, but I’d rather just have the footage.

Edit: oh cool right as I put this up that Sony Vegas bundle is up on Humble again. Huh.

i know fuck all about video editing but i converted some 4:3 footage in 16:9 with bars to another format in handbrake recently and that cropped the bars automatically

2 Likes

I will also rep for Vegas, I used to do a decent amount of amateur video editing and it is relatively simple while also scaling up as far as you’ll probably ever need to go. It costs money obviously.

1 Like

I hear they run discounts on torrent sites

6 Likes

Lightworks, Pitivi and Openshot are free if that’s a requirement and you can’t pirate for some reason

1 Like

I’m currently considering playing a big CRPG but I only have space in my life for one so I want a best-in-class at some category of experience. I’m considering Deadfire, any other contenders?

Attn @Felix, @Tulpa

original sin

2 Likes

Witcher 3

deadfire would be my recommendation for best all-rounder. it’s great-looking & well-paced, and it combines “an actually good implementation of FFXII party AI scripting” with “an actually good videogame narrative about colonialism,” neither of which had ever been done successfully on their own, let alone together.

new torment is utterly terrific other than its combat which is hilariously bad but mostly avoidable and it does still very much scratch that CRPG itch so I can’t fail to mention it

original sin 1 is a bonafide heir to ultima 7 (with some chrono trigger thrown in for good measure) and is challenging and hilarious and incredibly generous but deadfire’s story and characters edge it. the sequel takes a modern classic and makes it both better and worse, I’d definitely recommend you start with the first, you’ll probably want more of it eventually.

witcher 3 is “do you want a perfectly executed combination of morrowind and red dead” – probably yes, but I’m working under an expectation of isometric party-based CRPGs.

shadowrun dragonfall is also very good, came along before a lot of these, and gets nothing really wrong, though it’s like a lite version of any of them at best.

go with deadfire imo, the only qualification I will make is that the first real dungeon is the same formulaic baldur’s gate stuff as the first pillars, but it’s like half an hour long and not the first thing you’ll do in the game so it doesn’t have much opportunity to warn you off

3 Likes