Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

agree

Ever since they started supporting generic Bluetooth connections at last it’s been no contest, I’m generally in the tank for Sony but as a PC controller definitely get boned

2 Likes

I think you can justify an Elite if you replace controllers every few years as analog sticks get loose; I’ve had mine for three years now and they’re almost perfectly tight still. A few components like that are much better constructed.

2 Likes

No matter what you do, get a decent USB Micro cable. I had cheapo monoprice ones, and they stopped working on me for both PS4/XB1 controllers. I never have a problem w/ my PS4 controller, but I’ve also never had a problem w/ XB1, so.

Has anyone here played Zelda 1 Randomizer? I have Zelda classic randomizer, but that’s a whole different thing…

1 Like

PS4 controllers are doable on PC with DS4Windows but then you get some weird games like Dead Rising that pick up the controller and the emulated 360 controller without anyway (that I know) to disable a controller. I then turn off DS4Win and it just reads it as a generic controller but also uses generic number button prompts in game that I don’t have mentally mapped so the XB controller just ends up being the least amount of head ache in most cases.

1 Like

Xbone if you want a controller that Just Works, DS4 if you want a gyro, Switch Pro if you want an Xbone controller and gyro (thought Switch Pro is only doable through Steam at the moment)

gyro aiming is good and also there’s a DS4 plugin for Cemu to emulate the Wii U tablet’s gyro (and presumably YuZu or Ryujinx would have gyro support down the line as well)

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I’m going to prioritise the Just Works here and go with a Bone one. Didn’t think the gyro was possible on PC though but I really don’t think he’s one to use it much.

How much do Bluetooth USB dongles differ by price though? Will a cheap one do just fine?

1 Like

absolutely not, cheap USB bluetooth dongles are terrible

uhhhh can you justify just upgrading your WiFi to get one that has bluetooth on it, that’s frankly easiest

Something like this just no good then?

So some wifi cards just come with Bluetooth support as well? Not sure what his current rig is so maybe I can look into that later (celebrating him this weekend so kind of limited to physical stores at the moment).

I use that dongle and it’s fine

1 Like

Microsoft also sells an official Xbox One wireless adapter that connects through the proprietary signal the console uses. I use it and it’s exactly what it should be, although my first one went bad after a year.

3 Likes

Yeah, you always want to go for the specific designed-for proprietary thing when it comes to Bluetooth. It seems that in order for Bluetooth not to be hopelessly unreliable, particular senders and receivers need to be calibrated and tested properly against each other – it’s barely a “standard”.

A third-party adapter specifically marketed as “For XBox One Controller” might also exist as a cheaper-than-official option that is also more reliable than generic Bluetooth dongles

1 Like

mine is

and it works great but holy shit do you not want to install this into your desktop, trust me

1 Like

If you’re going just bluetooth, I prefer PS4’s connectivity. I don’t know if that outweighs the ease of use, though. Also, If you’re going to get an official dongle (as opposed to straight up bluetooth), the official XB1 dongle is better than the official Dualshock dongle.

Ymer: I want a controller that just works

Felix: okay, get this mini pci-e card and…

You’re a menace, felix

A menace

6 Likes

I said don’t!!

Anyone playing the Pokemon Let’s Go games? Does it keep that aspect of Go that basically makes you treat each pokemon as expendable, random loot drops to be sorted by stats and sold for candy?

I am kinda interested in playing it as a chill, laid back pokemon game, but I hated that aspect of Go for how it felt like it discarded the idea that you are supposed to care for and bond with each monster in your party.

Kimimi is really liking it.

1 Like

hey if i’ve never finished killer 7 is the new port good or should i just play it in dolphin one day, i think it hard locked on the first boss when i last tried in 2009 or something though i assume dolphin has come a long way since

It does seem like they’ve added a whole lot of extra liveliness in the way you can interact with the pokemon and how they are all wandering around the fields.
That might be enough to persuade me, but I am still a little concerned that I might catch a pidgey in route 1 and agonise over what to call him, only to find it more viable to swap him out for one 10 levels higher in the next area, and then poor little Bosworth is off to the candy factory.

1 Like

My friend has it and I watched her play it for a bit. It seems ppl are complaining that, yes, it does want you to catch everything bc it gives you a million balls and catching gives lots of exp. Ppl are also complaining that it is way too easy. My friend has been only catching one of each pokemon and has found that to even the difficulty out to that of a regular pokemon game. So I guess no you don’t need to catch everything and perhaps maybe you really shouldn’t.

1 Like