Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Slightly different, but I had a family of cousins who had their own little set of names for Super Mario Bros. 3 enemies. When my cousin would be like “Stomp on that turkey!” I would respond “You mean a Koopa-Troopa. They’re called Koopa-Troopas.” I was insufferable.

4 Likes

Literally if your game doesn’t refer to the amount of lives left as “rest” it is garbage

2 Likes

Stage is great for the way it implies theater.

Scene is even better, but no one uses it.

1 Like

How we feel about “courses?”

levels are levels unless it’s an endlessly looping arcade game in which case they are patterns or waves

Inapplicable outside of racing, golf, and maybe skiing/snowboarding. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

“Courses” is pretty good for how it emphasizes horizontal traversal of space IMO

A pretty dumb thing about “levels” is how it’s overloaded to mean a totally different thing in RPGs. Not sure why we’ve collectively put up with that when there are so many alternate words available.

It may speak to progression fundamentals that are at the core of seemingly unrelated genres

1 Like

courseclear

5 Likes

Well hush my mouth

1 Like

call them “lessons”

6 Likes

Modules.

1 Like

tribulations

1 Like

Blocks

servers

Everything is now a “dungeon”

3 Likes

Call them sessions

late to the party, but:

10 Likes

Waiting for someone to 3D print and arduino that keyboard

Put an NEC stamp on it why not

…man I miss old Japanese computer hardware

2 Likes

whats the monolith of literary influence of which things like galerians, baroque, blame, R.E.N.G.O.K.U. and texhnolyze take inspiration? what subgenre do u call this? neuro-horror? the horror of objectifying and dehumanizing humanity via science. the horror of ur brain hurting and crying bc you dont want it to hurt anymore and youre in a 40,000 floor tower

is there a book that wrote of images like this first or are these brand new horrorific ideas unique to a post-video game culture

edit:
ok frankenstein obviously kinda but who brought it into the neoliberal world and talked about massive unearthly structures and DNA along w/ it

2 Likes