Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Donation goals? I’m just guessing, but some Korean streaming sites have something like Twitch’s cheering with bits that lets you donate money to a streamer while making some premium emote show up in chat in some predominant way, and this looks very similar. 233 and 666 are Chinese Internet slang for “hahaha” and “you’re doing great” respectively. Going by what I know of kanji from Japanese, the top gauge with the pink shine-looking thing appears to be tracking the day’s subscriptions. I have no idea what the others are because the screenshot is too low-res for me to be able to make out the characters.

2 Likes

thanks, that’s enough to satisfy my curiosity!

Do you know how these originated? Is this like how back in the 90s in the U.S. “143” was “I love you” if you were calling someone’s pager?

the pronounciation of the numbers together are more likely than not the same as the phrase/sound e.g. “555” is Thai net shorthand for “hahaha” (https://translate.google.com/#en/th/five)

233 is apparently the code for this gif from something called mop.com 猫扑网
http://www.linglingfa.net/new/face/233.gif

666 (liu liu liu) apparently sounds close enough to 牛牛牛 (niu niu niu) for it to transform into somethin kinda like “GG” in games

牛 is of course short for 牛逼, which is itself a homophone of 牛屄, which input systems make very difficult to actually type bc its insanely vulgar and means “cow pussy” , which… for… cultural reasons? is a way of saying that something is “fucking great”

i think 牛 has been kind of sanitized through creative etymology to be a general word for ‘good’ so that people can avoid having to deal with the vulgarity of its actual orgins

5 Likes

why doesn’t my dad love me?

are there anymore pieces like this, or itchio games about this. what is the most politically depressing contemporary video game? is it google play store unity games

3 Likes

Mass Effect franchise

1 Like

prison architect

1 Like

has anyone played this new game hover on ps4? doing big jumps all over a glowing cityscape sounds cool, but there must be a reason no-one’s talking about it, right?

I think part of it may be that it has been in early access on Steam for over a year so all the super fans have probably already had their fill. Last I saw anything of it it looked kind of rough but no idea how much they’ve fixed in that time which is probably a lot?

the art direction is too french animation and the subtitle is “revolt of gamers”

1 Like

Have the battle royale games supplanted MOBAs in the mainstream gaming zeitgeist?

1 Like

Yes. If you want to get money for a game it will have to include the phrase ‘battle royale’ in it, from Jan 2018 to Jul 2019 when we’ll start seeing these late-follow games collapsing.

You can also track this by watching League of Legends’ twitch viewer counts decline over the past year.

4 Likes

Update : I bought one, got it 10 days ago and it rules
Thanks

2 Likes

kind of, but not really

considering the battle royale genre has already had a few Dawngates, it seems to be accelerating the cycle MOBAs did

also were MOBAs ever really mainstream? they were popular, sure, but no one ever did League emotes on late night shows

Yes, a few of my friends who do consulting for studios and the people that’d invest in them had, 6 months ago, started saying, “set your money on fire instead of doing this” when asked how to make a good Battle Royale.

3 Likes

I think EA and Activision (well, at least Activision) figured out the right path, where you have BR as a side attraction to your main game but because you’re pouring in millions upon millions, your side attraction is way more polished than most focused offerings

It’s worth it as a hedge to them because they need to be very careful to prevent these durable franchises from eroding. Call of Duty week is still something scary that all other publishers avoid (and honestly, it’s the whole of November).

2 Likes

Should I rename Moon Fields to Moon Fields Battle Royale?

4 Likes