Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

yeah one thing to note in addition to the sonic / streets of rage games that everyone knows and the stuff I mentioned is that there were a massive number of top-shelf sidescrolling action games released in 93-95 (and 80% of them just in 94). the megadrive was quite old by then (it was first available in 88, two years before the SNES) and the best parts of its library all feel like a last hurrah – between those three, ristar, sparkster, dynamite headdy, shinobi 3, pulseman, earthworm jim, etc., it was really the jump button’s time to shine.

this is another reason that the only major exception to the megadrive being significantly better-regarded in Europe (both because a lot of everyone’s favourite US SNES titles didn’t get localized there and because the US didn’t get those 4p racing games) is how much the Nomad ruled, because it came out right when all those games were still newish and widely available but rapidly falling in price at Funcoland. that was my megadrive experience and it was terrific.

Don’t forget MegaTurrican! I’ve been looking into Factor 5’s development history lately, and and it all keeps remind me of how awesome MegaTurrican is.

Crusade of Centy has a lot of issues but I still couldn’t stop playing until the end. The somber, dreamlike atmosphere is really unique.

3 Likes

mega turrican also makes really good use of the genesis’ harsh palette and FM synth which is one thing some of those other great 94 releases had backed away from slightly

2 Likes

El Viento plays like butter dancing on silk, definitely play that

1 Like

How do people feel about the Splatterhouse games?

V. bad games only for youtubers to like imo

2 Likes

Speaking of MD action games, I recently checked out, well, all of them, and the only big surprise was mamono hunter yohko which might be one of my favorite games ever now? Amazing stuff in here

5 Likes

hoo boy that first level is a doozy

OHH. wow

I want to second recommending Crusader of Centy but stress that the PAL Soleil translation is the superior version

The Misadventures of Flink is not really anything special as a platformer but I want to recommend it just for the aesthetics

Ctrl+f ranger-x

zero hits

ban everyone

5 Likes

What’s the best DS flashcard? Also is there a cheap place to buy that card

An important part to your question is whether you want to be able to use it in a 3DS as well (though this may only apply if your 3DS isn’t hacked). Also if you want to be able to emulate some more advanced systems like SNES in exchange for reduced battery life in sleep mode whenever you use it.

(I still can’t give you a good answer since I never ended up buying mine either)

first two are excellent, third is ok

what are all the little meters on the left side of the screen for?

I went with a Datel Games N Music years back as it was sold in the K-Mart a mile or so from my house. I’m very sure it wasn’t the best option, but it let me run various emulators on my DS for like $15 or so.

Is there a Genesis emulator that handles compressed/merged roms?

mame

(though also i recently bit the bullet and just switched back to split sets for console stuff the pros aren’t worth the cons)

1 Like