Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

i have the old ps4 and it has always been really loud

1 Like

my PS4 is loud but not because of it’s (slowly failing) drive but because the SoC inside of it opens a small portal to hell and the fan has to work overtime making the console not melt

4 Likes

Over the weekend my ps4 shut itself off in the middle of a game and I had to pull the plug and reinsert it for it to turn on again :fearful:

2 Likes

cool, thanks babes

This apparently means bad power supply ($25) or bad solder joints (throw it in the garbage)

Uh, here’s hoping it’s the first one

2 Likes

did we ever hear any more news about the front mission spin off thing ‘left alive’?

Aside from this, not really.

from like 2007 until a couple years ago RPS and eurogamer were the only good commercial games review/news sites and they’ve both been disappointing me lately as they’ve lost a lot of their better writers and the new ones are terrible

is there an alternative I’m not aware of?

4 Likes

only trust reviews from http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com and http://patreon.com/lunaticobscurity

16 Likes

Definitively agree, this is bumming me out

hey…

the only worthwhile review is no commentary 60fps gameplay footage

7 Likes

Commentary and critique is important! That’s why this community exists, after all. And while we talk in a space a half-step above casual, there’s space for more formalized, considered thought as well. The best mainstream reviews weave commentary into their description, and as video became more available I’d argue the function of commentary in written reviews became even more important.

Eurogamer and RPS represented a comfortable middle ground between the traditional product review approach and the intensely personal New Games Journalism. They provided a useful interpretive overview to games I would never play and helped me contextual games in different spaces.

And they should continue to exist.

I have always liked Gamerevolution. They don’t have some of the flavor. But, they do deliver very functional reviews, which actually tell me if a game is good or not. And I often agree with them. They do seem a teensy bit more foregiving, than the past. But overall, I still like their reviews.

They have also been around quite a long time, which I think says something. As some other sites have died.

Is the PS4 port of the Steam rerelease of the PC port of Final Fantasy VII worth bothering with at all?

Personally I think high-resolution 3D on low-resolution backdrops makes the game look substantially worse.

3 Likes

Being able to play the game exactly how you want re: difficulty and random battles and speed is more than most games give.

You can’t option to do low res polys?

Maybe! I’ve only ever seen screenshots/video of that release in high-red (for example, Tim’s translation notes video shows the downsides clearly)

It’s the worst the game has ever looked and no ability to downgrade the polygons (same as the PC port) but it has built in fast forward, invincibility, and you can turn random battles off. I fucking love final fantasy vii but I’ll probably never be able to play it without those features again.