Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Yes, if VLC is rendering to a GPU overlay surface it won’t necessarily be captured by apps like that.

You can turn off GPU render surfaces in the VLC config menu, set it to the slowest and most compatible option

I saw some video of the new Shining Force on Switch. Looks pretty cool. As a fan of FFtactics, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, FM3, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, Xcom 2: Are there any Shining Force on PS3 worth playing?

I don’t see such a thing, is it this “output modules” dropdown menu?

and the rest of the dropdown options

vlc2

I chose “disable” and uh, it disabled video output altogether, which makes sense

Yeah. Try all of the first few, OBS should tolerate one of them

I didn’t think the new one was a tactics game? Most shining series games in recent years are just regular jrpgs as far as I know

Huh. I swear the switch game looked like a tactics game. Could be wrong!

there’s a demo up, could always play and see

it’s not a tactics game

it’s some Tales ripoff wherein all the plot elements paint it as a Symphogear ripoff

if that last sentence made no sense, consider yourself lucky

1 Like

Ok so I’m a dummy. Fire Emblem. Not Shining Force.

Do we have a DEALS thread?

If it’s a thread for discounts it’s called STEALS, if you are looking for a trade thread we have one called SELLS which I think fits the bill. I’d link them but it’s a pain on mobile

Question 1:
What’s a good starting point for Andrew Plotkin IF? @jsnlv

Question 2:
While driving through rural Massachusetts at midnight, I heard a Kingdom Hearts rap on the radio. It was a pretty normal rap, but they were talking about Sora and the Heartless. I think it was followed up by another rap by the same guy that referenced Mario and other Nintendo and Sega franchises. Does anyone know what this is?

4 Likes

…on the radio?

So here’s his library of collected works, and he himself recommends The Dreamhold as a good entry point for both beginners and experienced players. I will further add that Hadean Lands is accessible even if you’re as bad at puzzle-solving as I sometimes am, but it does cost money. I found it to be worthwhile.

Beyond that, Spider and Web is among his best-known works which should be experienced without reading any spoilers, if possible. Shade and Hoist Sail for the Heliopause and Home are fascinating little games which I couldn’t get through without assistance, and So Far is still in my mind the quintessential Plotkin work: rich and inscrutable, possessing a certain logic which I lack the patience to properly internalize. I played through the entire game from a walkthrough, and I have no regrets; it is still among my most vivid memories of interactive fiction.

Generally speaking, the older the game, more driven and experienced a player of interactive fiction you need to be. He’s never been afraid to make games where you can save after getting yourself into an unwinnable situation, but he is at least diligent about warning you of this possibility.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was on Harvard’s radio station I think, or Emerson’s.

Assume I know nothing about SD cards

On one hand I have a vengeful, cursed 32go SD card, so corrupt its mere presence alone prevents my new3DS from turning on. Trapped inside, among others: A fresh 15-to-20 hours Strange Journey Redux save, plus hundreds of Picross pictures

On the other hand I have a fresh, innocent, empty 16go SD card, eager to see the world

Can I take a peak at the vile 32go card on my computer to extract and transfer its contents to the pure 16go card, without risking transfering the curse to the new card, and/or me?

DS4 Windows is great but occasionally wonky. Recently pairing more than one DualShock 4 has usually required multiple driver reinstalls or reboots. Sometimes even with just one controller.

I’ve tried fine tuning and looked around but am tempted to just get an Xbone or Steam controller and reduce headaches. Mostly in Retroarch PCSX2 and Steam. Any pad recommendations or suggestions before I toss these $$$?

Uninstall DS4 windows and try SCP Toolkit. Pay close attention and follow the directions exactly.

Also, DS4 are supposed to have native support in Steam. But I dunno how that translates an older game.

1 Like

If you can get the card/its data to show up on a computer, sure. If you can’t, the card’s corrupted. You might be able to retrieve most/all of it with some simple recovery tool but I’m not sure that a partial recovery of this sort of thing is useful.

If on copying it to a new card it still doesn’t boot, there are a bunch of other people having the same issues and a bunch of potential fixes on various forums.

1 Like

Ds4w has had spyware for years as well.