Post your Unique Retroarch Problems Here

a speedrunner in the kf community tried to reset his settings to default after playing around and ended up with a nearly slowdown-free version of kf3j pilot style

…wut
this is not how the game normally runs. it seems to have completely removed all performance hiccups
fresh install of retroarch fixed it as usual, but what the fuck
4 Likes

Don’t people usually manage to do this by overclocking the CPU in the settings?

yes, but he also uploaded a clip showing how everything was set before he reinstalled (overclocking was entirely turned off). what precipitated this was actually resetting all options to default - as soon as he did that, this occurred.

edit: here’s that video showing OC being shut off

Okay so if Retroarch implemented two things it would be my emulator of choice on Android:

1. Reconfigurable controls (not by editing a text file, i’m not a wiz kid hacker like matthew broderick)
  2. Auto save states (either timed or upon exit)

These are musts on a phone where I’m multitasking a lot and Retroarch might get closed at any time, and ALSO because all the default controls on Retroarch kinda suck in various ways. Small tweaks would make them great though.

This is not a specific problem, more just me complaining.

“Gameboid” had those in 2011

i’m actually pretty fed up of the thing now and might go back to running mednafen, which i’ve used without incident on osx for 10+ years
the byuu thing seems promising i guess

Most emulators on Android have these features. But none of them have good shaders, and none of them are the all-in-one solution that Retroarch is!! It’s infuriating.

1 Like

if you’re on macos then openemu is lovely for the most part, I’m not switching to retroarch there unless the UX gets loads better

I would not ever plan to switch to a byuu project for its interface design and quality-of-life features

Oh that’s the worst part too, Retroarch has the best UX out of almost any emulator I’ve used on my phone!! what the heck is up with that

1 Like

ha yeah fair point

I wish they hadn’t done like a Qt-based ripoff of SDLMAME for the retroarch desktop GUI, that is … not what I had in mind

I’ve loved https://github.com/AmatCoder/mednaffe for ages but mednafen cores are really not feature competitive with retroarch these days, it was just convenient when I was on a laptop that wasn’t gonna do a lot of upscaling &c.

the number of times bsnes ate a save because it only writes them to disk when you properly quit the program

3 Likes

I’ve literally gotten so annoyed that I’ve installed dosbox to run nesticle in the past

don’t become an archivist as a young age or you too will wind up being nostalgically stubborn in the dumbest ways

1 Like

there is a setting for this, though
SRAM AutoSave Interval

1 Like

Every time i think about emulation, I remember how easy to use nesticle was.

2 Likes

it’s supposed to just write to the disk when it writes the SRAM in the emulator!!! what the fuck!!! why is that a setting

4 Likes

because some cores use SRAM as scratch and write incessantly

EVERYTHING WRITES TO DISK ALL THE TIME THIS IS THE FAULT OF THE SSD IOPS BENCHMARKING LUNATICS ISN’T IT

felix I replace the heads on my HDD for clean signal often enough as it is, I can’t be frivolously using my writes

2 Likes