Podcast Secret Level (podcast recommendations thread)

The Wheel of Time multiplayer is great. There are so many interesting weapons and items to use.

There are unerring homing projectiles that are instant kills, but move slowly to start, gradually accelerating. There is reflect magic to send those same homing projectiles back at their caster. There are illusions, shields, tornados, mines, healing spells, baelfire which shoots through walls, and so on. It is fun times.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about the Wheel of Time game for years and have wanted to replay it because I remember it being surprisingly good. I was ~9 years old and picked up the first Wheel of Time book on the basis of that game. I got through 100 pages before tossing it in the trash.

2 Likes

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is a mixed bag as far as book series go; better than they should be but still very 1960s libertarian sf author. They’re mostly known for terrible puns and humanism, which makes them distinctly better than Xanth, which was known mostly for terrible puns and the author being an obvious pedophile. Light misogyny applied iirc.

2 Likes

that Kiss Psycho Circus game is truly dire lol. Endless swarms of bullet sponge enemies and weak uninteresting weapons.

1 Like

that’s sad cuz the game was actually directed by someone who is really well regarded in the Doom mapping community (he did probably the best couple maps of The Master Levels) so i always wanted it to be secretly good. the game was developed by a short lived company that formed out of disgruntled employees who walked out of Ion Storm during Daikatana development though so maybe it was cursed from the beginning.

3 Likes

the level design (disregarding enemy placement) is often actually pretty good, its just seemingly designed like a serious sam style arena shooter but without room to maneuver. I guess the closest doom map analogy would be stereotypical slaughter maps but with an attention to architecture.

2 Likes

9 year old you was way smarter than 23 year old me, who read…3 books? before tossing them into the trash.

1 Like

Way less patient with the endless descriptions of paint drying and grass growing

ah now, you see, the thing that turned me off from the books was the endless descriptions of cleavage

Not much of that in the first 100 pages, so I doubly feel like I dodged a bullet

1 Like

@Sakurina 's podcast Limitless Possibility’s most recent episode went real in-depth on VTubers. Covered a lot of their history as well as the technical aspects bheind them which for me at least cleared up a lot of things as someone who just watched a lot of clips of Kizuna Ai swearing in English when those were viral and was now wondering where all these new girls on @AnimegirlENG were coming from.

my fav clips

4 Likes

Glad someone else can confirm this. I read them when I was an early teen and barely remembered it, but givne my 60s libertarian sf loving dad, this makes total sense.

Yup can confirm this as well. Pirated the DC version and it was garbage.

Same and about the same age, ha! The third book being called The Dragon Reborn and then haveing the character literally called that just…leave for most of the book really made me just go “oh fuck off” and never look back. My friends who even like the series told me that I made the right call.

1 Like

you can actually download the wheel of time game for free i think

It is the MaxFun Drive and I still listen to JJGO, Flophouse, and Friendly Fire weekly. I am already a supporter but if someone would like the “gift” of being a supporter let me know.

Also if anyone wants to be Friendly Fire/War Movie Buddies with me let me know.

1 Like
1 Like

The second season of this started last week. Branchburg is my Lake Wobegon.

hmmm… what if…

just kidding i’ve been enjoying

oh…who could forget…

4 Likes

I resisted this for a long time because I expected Rude Tales of Magic to be like a lot of eating shit jokes and I suck on the dirty doorknob and magical realms.

But I am two episodes in and it is delightful. The NPCs are a bit too samey but also I love that he does GM directions in character. I am a Rude Tales of Magic fan. @Father.Torque drove me to this by never editting.

Also The C Team went on indefinite hiatus.

I also tried Mission to Zyx as my sudoku before bed podcast and relatively enjoyed the first two seasons and then was blown away by S3E1. Woah! podcast paying stuff off and having lots more production. It was a real cool payoff. Definitely recommend listening to Mission to Zyx for two months as you do picross and sudoku before bed.

1 Like

@ellaguro is on the latest ICP (insert credit podcast)

7 Likes

@Mikey

I would die for stirfry

2 Likes