Podcast Secret Level (podcast recommendations thread)

Y’all need to get the SNEX gaiden podcasts the incredible bump by reviewing them on itunes. I believe in this forum say you like all of us by reviewing No Rangers Allowed, Super Nintendo Exploration Squad, and Hinge Problems. Most of you got an iphone. I know the app is absolute crap but just open it and write a review.

2 Likes

Am I doing it right?

7 Likes

When you have so many episodes you cover the same thing three times and don’t realize it until you’ve already published the episode.

1 Like

shameless self-promotion to recommend my own podcast here (i don’t know if i’ve done that before or not in this thread). anyway i have a new episode out that took forever for me to actually edit and finish. def give it a listen if the description sounds interesting to you!

6 Likes

Oh shit Pendulum reference in the title? :heart:

1 Like

yeah! it’s kind of the theme of the episode in some ways so it fits well. also i play the song at the end of the episode.

1 Like

I will have to listen because yeah, absolute top tier GbV song.

been occasionally listening to this podcast:

Music from 100 Years Ago

nerdy charisma-less guy plays very old music. it’s extremely charming and he does bring some interesting knowledge and enthusiasm to the table. he also doesn’t talk that much and just gets into the music. thanks to this podcast i found out about this song

which is silly as hell, and this song

where she starts nyan-ing like a cat near the end.

it’s a nice little time filler, but like all music, i can only truly enjoy about 30% of it, so I can only listen to about 1.5 episodes in a row. then i’m good for a week or more.

for instance, did you know that jackie gleason produced two albums of “easy listening” music? it’s as godawful as you’d think

3 Likes

The Magnus Archives is over. I’ve listened to it on and off for…well, I guess about 4 years? I checked on Twitter and I guess there’s a huge fandom but I just listened to it on my own.

What I thought, spoilery *if you care*

I liked TMA best when it was monster of the week shit, which it usually was! Somehow they managed to retain that even through a massive storyline. I thought it did a good job of blending cosmic horror with mundanity and humor. The framing always, always worked for me (an archivist documenting first-person accounts of awful occurrences) and helped to hold the whole thing together.

I also thought they did a good job of characterizing folks! I don’t have real interest in people’s fictional relationships 99% of the time, so it wasn’t exactly my cup of tea, but it was unobtrusive and at least made sense.

I think it ends up being a bit too explanatory, though. I don’t think it’s up there with all-time-great Cosmic Horror because everything ends up making sense which is the least horrific thing. It gets less and less scary as it lines up more and more neatly.

Still, it was remarkably consistent and managed to, well, make sense! 5 years and 200 episodes all tying together into a single overarching narrative is no mean feat, and they managed to do it. And much of the shit that made no real sense at the beginning actually had a consistent explanation that was clearly planned from the very beginning.

The ending is more of a whimper than a bang IMO, and kind of had the Video Game Problem of “there are two possible options and the main character will choose one of them.” No real mystery there, just…a clean ending.

I mean, some of it is left ambiguous but…not much.

Also, put this up there with “media where the world actually fucking ends, and people have to deal with the consequences of that for a significant part of the story.” The last season was entirely set after the end of the world which is cool as hell.

Also everyone was gay, basically. That was good.

Gertrude for life.

I’m glad it’s over though. I thought it dragged on for about a year too long.

I guess it’s worth noting that I generally don’t like fiction podcasts - the low quality of acting or production usually makes me cringe. TMA managed to keep me entertained for 200 episodes, so it’s pretty gosh-darn good.

hey, so i just put up a pretty long/in depth episode of my podcast with a special guest where we go back to the recent past to look at the like… now very much deceased climate of the early 2010’s indie scene via watching a few documentaries from that period. we of course watched “Indie Game The Movie”, some bizarre/awful/possible cult recruitment video “Us and the Game Industry” and Tim Rogers’s “GET BONUS: The Movie”

anyway, check it out if it sounds interesting to you!

5 Likes

Oh These, Those Stars of Space just started, it’s a new campaign by the Rude Tales of Magic crew. Episode 1 is an absolute delight:

1 Like

God help me, I picked up The Adventure Zone again now that Travis’s disaster of a campaign is over and they’ve started a new one. I’m surprised to say that their new campaign is actually pretty good so far! It took them years, but it seems like they’ve finally gotten over some of the bad lessons they learned from their first campaign’s surprise success.

This time they’re not dumping absurd amounts of boring exposition on the listener (they did a pre-campaign where they established the lore by playing The Quiet Year, and they managed to make it somewhat listenable. Good way for them to get that shit out of their systems). They’re not immediately reaching for big, unearned emotional beats. They’re not introducing ten named NPCs every episode. They haven’t split the party for boring solo scenes once yet. They’re actually improvising and letting the jokes guide the action, which after three years they’ve finally realized is what people come to them for.

3 Likes

Refuse to believe TAZ could be good in 2021, I resist and object

1 Like

I was as surprised as anybody! Most surprising of all is that I actually kind of enjoy Travis’s character. It sounds terrible in theory: a comically agreeable French guy with a bad comedy French accent. But damnit, the way he plays the guy is actually kind of endearing.

I wouldn’t believe it either.

1 Like

To be clear this not a judgment or even a pre-judgment, at this point it’s an expression of an essential element of my character

2 Likes

The latest TAZ season is real good so far, glad to see them having fun again after that dire last arc.

Excited to learn more about the terror of the blinkshark wars.

1 Like

Can I get some suggestions for good why-are-people-from-X-like-that anthropological type shows? I think I love this kind of thing

Synodus Horrenda is excellent and has really affected me a few times already.

Real life stories about death, and how death affects the living.

1 Like

@Faithless had to explain Gundams to Jordan and Jesse and it was a delight.

You may have been the guest to most ask them what the hell they talking about. And I had to take stock and went “oh yes this podcast that I connect with and is my happy place is unhinged.”

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Pixelated Audio! And what they recommended They Create Worlds is also a good show which talking about business history of video games.

1 Like