PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

I pick it up every once in a while. I couldn’t really get the SB crew into it unfortunately.

2 Likes

I think about playing this a lot but I don’t actually do it… I’d be up for squad play again though. That was fun!

1 Like

hey hi i play this videogame.

been trying the updated version on the test servers

oh god oh god it rules so much. all this time with minor changes / things related to prevent cheating on the main servers and on the side they were rebuilding the entire game. it’s a whole new thing now.

the vehicles changed their handling and now you can hear their gears shifting and tires screeching. all the environmental assets look so much sharper and clean, even on the lowest settings. most sound effects are beefier. and, my oh my, you can vault through walls / fences / rocks / boxes / windows. it entirely changes the dynamics of running away and flanking.

still many bugs, even on the main servers. and for some reason the “w” key appears to keep register as being pushed after i run for a time (which leads to me dying frustrating deaths from getting out of cover because of auto-walking).

let’s play sometime maybe, everyone! :wink:

(((i suck tremendously at it though just to make it clear)))

5 Likes

that’s fine. add me! i’m nothingxs on steam!

I play sometimes, mostly via peer pressure. Plz hit me up on Steam.

I’m still thinking of buying this (mostly because I haven’t had something to play with @Uglysses in too long) but every time I check in it’s like “the game still runs like shit and also they just fucked up something else”

the test server’s client is surprisingly well-optimized, even if i hate all the agency fb abuse all over the interface.

Just turn all the graphics down to low (except draw distance) – it’ll wind up giving you a slight advantage in terms of visibility anyway. And part of the perception of it running like shit is the netcode which … well, I understand they’re tackling a complicated problem, but they certainly did a worse job than Epic did.

The new desert map is incredibly different. My normal strategy of finding a patch of woods and hiding in a shadow doesn’t work when there are no woods and also no shadows. The buildings are generally much more open and harder to find cover in as well. I think this map is going to encourage people to be more aggressive in some ways (shoot when you see someone) and less aggressive in others (don’t move at all unless necessary) since cover is so hard to come by.

The vaulting mechanics are as much of a game changer as I thought they would be. Small things, like climbing to the top of an abandoned crumbling building, or smashing a window in the back of a house and jumping through it, increase the amount of strategies and hiding spaces tenfold.

I got #2 in the first game I played on the test server. Fuuuuuck

Anyway, when this goes 1.0 (or just play on the test servers) it’s going to be a fairly different and much more competent game. I’m excited. maybe I can finally get people together on some random night to play PUBG

The game runs better than it did before, and I think the “they fucked something up” is very much a symptom of how popular this game is. Any change is perceived as a fuck up.

I am definitely still keeping an eye on it and looking forward to getting into it during a lull sometime next year.

This is so cool, I might start streaming again

1 Like

edit: so uh yeah the article definitely over-estimates the novelty of pubg’s replay system. still it’s a pretty cool thing!

also i just gained a bunch of money by selling a skirt i got from a free loot crate for this game on the steam marketplace

nice

1 Like

Is the replay system substantively different from traditional game replays (capture player inputs, then re-simulate game along timeline)?

Well, the only other 3D game I can think of off the top of my head that offers this same feature is Halo 3 and that’s been almost a decade since that one came out.

maybe the main difference is in that it captures all the game-data surrounding your character on a 1km² radius for the duration of the characters’ life span. that includes being able to (retroactively, obvs) follow other players around you, manipulate speed / camera and set markers on the video’s timeline (iirc you can jump the replay to whenever a player on your team knocks / gets knocked down, etc)

so i think it has more to do with bigger scope and more built-in tools to play around with? i’m not sure how it compares to others systems of this sort nowadays or stuff that has been done for a while in things like halo though

That sounds like what sport games have been doing for decades except with a larger area.

well darn!

they did their homework well i guess

Yeah, it sounds like the replay controls are much better but the underlying tech is the same (actually, we’d normally expect this to work for all players – but most games don’t have 100 players so they needed to filter it. I wonder how they handle interactions between players out of scope? Presumably they’re tracked at a much lower fidelity but still tracked).

so PUBG mobile is out and it actually runs on my old Note 3. I played two games, totaling about 50 mins, drained 30% of my battery. That’s on the lowest graphics settings. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but it’s about what I expected. I can’t see myself playing this while waiting for something. Especially because all I did the second game was wait. With a shotty trained at the door. It worked pretty well because after getting 75th in the first game I managed the number 2 spot in the second.

Now I don’t know how much this means, really, because I heard that you play against bots as well as people, at least for your first few matches. Is that true? I don’t know! I couldn’t tell. Everybody moves like a jackass with phone controls, after all.

But I don’t have to give a review of this game here you probably already know if PUBG on mobile is something you want or not

I on the other hand am not sure if it’s something I want??? I guess I’ll keep it installed and see what happens

1 Like