PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

thanks for trying that so i’ll never have to.

1 Like

I played this game for far too long and gave up on it when I realized it froze every time I shot my gun.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing the PC PUGB again recently and I think I still like it quite a bit! There’s not another game that gives me the same palpable anxiety. I mean, large swaths of it are pretty boring and the variance is super high, but I think that just adds to the tension?

I’ve been playing Fortnite recently too. I actually think I like Fortnite more mechanically than PUBG. I assumed it wasn’t going to be good, but it turns out their lazy “let’s just throw the mechanics of our existing base-building game into a battle royale” happens to works out pretty well! It feels a lot more fair than PUBG because you can create cover on the fly. Shotguns are much more viable because you can control sight-lines and distances by building. The building + jumppads + impulse grenades create a very movement-focused game. It’s a little fiddly, but it’s pretty interesting and it feels like it has a very high skill ceiling.

At the same time, it lacks any of the tension that PUBG creates. When I win (or even get in the top 10) in PUBG I get an adrenaline high and I have to physically take a break and cool down afterwards. I’ve gotten 3rd a couple times in Fortnite now (no win yet, sadly) and while it’s fairly exciting, it doesn’t hit me the same way at all. PUBG successfully captures the feeling and tension and inherent inequality of a 100 person fight-to-the-death contest, and Fornite just feels like a round-based shooter with a large player count.

3 Likes

I feel the same way about the tension levels in PUBG vs. Fortnite. What doesn’t help Fortnite is that it somehow runs worse than PUBG for me. I can only play it in 720p to get a good frame rate, which is bizarre because other Unreal Engine games run much better for me. Also I don’t like the building in Fortnite. I flat out refuse to do it and just play it like a straight up shooter, which is not very satisfying at all.

What bugs me the most about Fortnite though is that I can’t change character. I’m stuck with the skinny girl when all I want is to play as the thiccy thick thick girl models that they have. They are really pretty and exactly what I want to play as/look at! So if they add that in, that I can change to that I’ll play it again. Yes, honestly, it matters that much to me

Now the mobile PUBG does have the tension of the PC game. My second match was boring for like 30 minutes but when it came down to 7 players or so it got really intense. Also, I got so much more stuff on mobile than on PC. I was just loaded to the teeth with guns and upgrades. Something that has never happened to me on PC but then I haven’t played it in a while on that platform, maybe they changed the drops there too.

Yeah, Fortnite is not worth playing if you don’t want to engage in the building. It’s a huge part of the game, and Fortnite’s shooting is way less tight and satisfying than PUBG’s.

The cosmetic thing bothers me a whole lot, too. I’m not sure why I can’t create my own character. I thought it was related to how rushed the mode was, but it seems like they’ve doubled down on it with the cosmetics they implemented. Outfits are tied to specific characters, so every person with the spacesuit costume has exactly the same body and face. I’m not sure why people would pay $10 to look exactly the same as everyone else. They’d have likely got money from me if it was more customizable.

1 Like

So pubg is about to have a new map. It’s called Savage and is much smaller than the other maps. Didn’t somebody here say they’d like the game more if it was smaller? I guess you’re getting your wish!

4 Likes

how is this thing at the moment? i’ve had 0 interest and if anything found the hype around this to be repellent but i’m sort of curious right now?

1 Like

Haven’t played it in a loooong time… I’m guessing it’s basically the same except for the vaulting and two extra maps, one of which is behind an extra pay wall. But I had a lot of fun with it when I played before all that. It also ran well for me, which is lucky.

I played about two months ago, which was fun until the patch where they added more anti-cheat and the performance tanked.

Judging from some other forums it looks like they haven’t quite fixed that, so that’s a bummer. I bet the smaller map is cool, but I’m not going to play it if the framerate tanks every time I get in a firefight.

yeah I can’t get over the sense of “what if goat simulator had way, way too much money put into it” whenever I play

it’s neat when it’s messy and the fundamentals are decent but it just crumbles under its own weight, which, combined with the pacing being frankly really bad compared to most expectations of a competitive shooter, doesn’t endear me to it

AFAICT this game is mostly dead now, obsoleted by Fortnite

which is good as it means fewer screaming teens

I’ve been playing H1Z1 beta on PS4 and have been having a good, totally maddening time because I can’t shoot worth a damn

I actually think Realm Royale is pretty dope. It’s like if Fortnite didn’t have the terrible fiddly building and instead had classes with unique abilities and a neat forging mechanic.

As you kill people you get supplies that you can turn into weapons or armor at one of the 20ish forges on the map. Forging takes 60 seconds and makes a lot of noise and black smoke, so everyone in the vicinity knows it’s going on. It’s a nice way to focus people around an objective and encourage fights.

Although maybe wait on that one, too. They’ve been pretty aggressive with patches because it’s technically alpha so the balance sort of swings wildly back and forth.

Honestly PBUG or whatever you call it was doomed to be userped. Now they’re wanting money for a new map? Fuck 'em. Cool idea with a shit implementation. Frankly, @VastleCania and I had about as much fun playing Totally Accurate Battlegrounds which was free for a little bit there.

Trying to get better at this lately… the mobile version is free so definitely has been more of a motivator. The console version is more challenging but the mobile matches feel like they have a slightly quicker pace.

@schmilsson on mobile
@piano map on xbone

Oh wow, pianomap! Haven’t seen you in a while!

Yeah it’s been a hot second!
I’m back on here because I play video games again lol
And was stoked to see this is still an active, positive community.

3 Likes

Joke’s on you, we don’t play videogames

4 Likes