Opening Cutscene

What are your favorite introductory / opening / attract mode cinematics / cutscenes / sequences?

i just watched the intro to xenogears… damn that’s good

15 Likes

i’ve met more than one person who has thought the word was “cutscreen” and now i say that instead

sorry that’s my post

14 Likes
5 Likes

I got a CD with the intro song and a few other tracks from the soundtrack when I preordered the game from EB Games in 2000. I definitely listening to the CD a lot.

15 Likes

tricoro’s attract more theme was my morning alarm for many years too, though I’d be lying if I said it was exciting to watch. That entire game is a massive chef’s kiss though, especially when it comes to aesthetic coherence.

3 Likes

A few of my favorites:

Out of This World (Another World)

All I had was a PC speaker for the sound back then, but it was impressive all the same.

Final Fantasy 8

I remember being disappointed to learn that the sword fighting was just a rivalry between students rather than something more deserving of that music. And some other parts of the story were also kind of silly. But it's still a good intro. I've considered trying the remastered version but I don't know that I'd have the patience for it.

Silent Hill

The music goes so well with the driving parts.
12 Likes
1 Like

The Sega CD opening to Road Avenger with the song is pretty bulletproof. I watch it sometimes when I am sad

EDIT: Technically may be an attract mode more than an intro cutscene

8 Likes

I always think of cutscenes as ingame sorts of things where as most of these are more of the opening cinematic bent

7 Likes

intro cinematic / attract mode sequence etc etc etc, all welcome

does this count ? it still gets me hyped up even today

11 Likes

came here to post this

also

and the unforgettable:

15 Likes
13 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like
15 Likes

the wild arms and grandia intros do a pretty good job of just encapsulating all the allure of the rpg.

the intro to the ps1 port of psychic force is incredibly chuuni, and i love it.

moving onto cartridges, the splatterhouse 2 intro is very atmospheric

7 Likes

Long ago, I randomly picked up Disruptor by Insomniac Games used from a video store for nothing. The intro sequence stood out to me, not because it was good but because of how cheap everything looked. Especially the teleporter at about 2:45.

So I guess I might call it a “favorite” in a way. It’s bad enough that it detracts from the game itself, a decent Doom clone. But on the other hand, it’s why I remember that game at all.

2 Likes

this was mind-blowing to me at the time

also including final fantasy tactics for having more than one attract scene if you let it loop

already been posted but the Chrono Trigger attract and Chrono Cross intro are my all time favs

6 Likes

THE IDOL MUST BE RETURNED!!

Simple and Clean/Hikari is a bop don’t @ me. ive been having these weird thoughts lately… like is any of this for real or not… lol

the music is so good in this… i mean it’s one of my favorite game osts in general. i ought to replay ICO

anime OP

always, always loved the way the music builds as it pans up to the egg and the incredibly stylish way title logo appears onscreen

12 Likes