Norman Skye

One thing that really annoys me is the alien interactions where they require a resource. Usually it goes something like this:

The Korvax stands there staring at a Bypass Chip-shaped hole, utterly clueless about how to go about filling the hole. They glance at you pleadingly, but also sort of annoyed because you’re a stupid idiot. What do you do?

A. Take a big shit on the ground
B. Give 1 Bypass Chip (requires 1 Bypass Chip that you don’t actually have, but could make 150 of at the drop of a hat, but we’re not going to let you access the menu to make this you should always carry one of every single important resource for situations just like this)

A.

You take a big shit on the ground. Your standing with the Korvax goes down, and you’re just such an idiot.

…anyway this annoys me more than is reasonable. Still loving the game! Finally found the highest tier of Sentinels on the ground, that was pretty neat.

2 Likes

Can’t you just right click out of the interaction, craft the chip and try again?

Hmm: do you even get any new weapons other than the boltcaster and the plasma grenades?

You can’t right click out of the interaction as far as I can tell.

There are mods for the Boltcaster to make it like a shotgun or a, uh…

Rail gun, thats it.

But not really, no.

No, you can back out of the conversation, craft it, and return; the NPCs work the same way that computers and doors do, sitting, endlessly waiting. It’s ‘B’ on the Xbox controller I’m using on PC.

ugh apparently I’m just a dummy then. I’ll try it next time

There are also boltcaster mods that make the bullets bounce off every surface. You can accidentally shoot yourself in the face this way.

That’s right, I forgot that.

The combat in this game is a joke, mostly. I see no reason to upgrade anything except my mining capabilities. I just use grenades to blow everything up. I might get a scarier grenade just for the chicken walker fellows later, but that’s it.

Yeah, combat is almost utterly unimportant, at least for me so far. I got how to dispatch drones efficiently before they could call reinforcements early on and it’s been smooth sailing since. I wish the sentinels would escalate faster and for a longer time, they have extremely short term memory.

Regarding interactions, some of the interactions requiring resources are actually traps where the best choice is to not give anything. You can figure those out once you understand the species lore well or know enough words to get what they’re actually asking. I really like the combination of the body language clues and the progressively deciphered dialogue, it can be a lot subtler than it first seems.

There are planets where Sentinels are “Frenzied” and will attack you on sight, due to valuable stuff being on the planet. I was on a planet full of gold and being constantly attacked. It was a nice change of pace.

I am not a fan of this article.

3 Likes

“This is an narrow-minded and anti-consumer attitude.”

“The right question to ask is: Why do we think this is an acceptable thing within our industry?”

fuck that article, fuck putting “and why it matters” at the end of the title, fuck every kotaku blurb about developers failing to communicate with players, fuck reddit, fuck “the games industry,” and fuck deej

6 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah that article bummed me out because I like that writer and thought he’d do better than that

Like let’s not ignore that it was basically a small team that was making something insanely scaled and suddenly got a bunch of attention

I wouldn’t know what to do with it anyway

Yeah, the “disappointment” angle is dumb.
Game was sold on its technology and scale. People are upset that what they get is essentially the technology and the scale? Misplaced expectations aren’t the developers fault.

Having had this argument in other places, people seem to think somehow this studio of 15 people actively lied to them in order to steal their money.

Instead what happened was a newish developer maybe overpromised some stuff, and didn’t hit all of his goals. OK, and? As I put it in one conversation, did nobody learn anything from Molyneux? Like I actually liked how much that dude constantly shot for the moon, even if he always failed. It was interesting, but I always knew he would never deliver half the things he ws promising, and that was OK?

Take into account as well that a lot of the things that people say Sean was promising, he wasn’t. He wasn’t super clear on the multiplayer thing, sure, but he also said single palyer gaming was the goal of the game, so I don’t get people ebing overly surprised that he would cut the MP if it ever was there to begin with. It’s not like he showed a bunch of videos of people playing the game together.

Can people not like the game? Sure. There’s lots of games I don’t like. I don’t really hold it against developers.

Jesus, games would be so much better if people stopped thinking of them as consumer products. They are consumer products, but there’s no lemon law about games (though, magically, as Felix did in this very thread, there are return policies). My favorite thing is that someone who was most angry about this in a facebook thread I was on admitted he pirated the game, but he still was angry. I guess he wanted his time back? I have no idea.

This is a muddled post, but basically, I get not liking a game. Claiming people LIED and being ROARINGLY ANGRY about it is just nonsensical though. I spent like 80 hours playing Borderlands before I basically realized it was shit. Doesn’t mean I am mad at the devs for telling me it wasn’t shit.

2 Likes

There was a post on reddit (where else, lol) with a long list of “promised” features that were “never delivered”. Basically angry dudes trying to rationalize something that never existed.

It seems they backed down on that, because the post was moved at least twice, now deleted, and the account of the original poster was deleted as well, probably to save face after they’ve been slammed from all sides with facts.

Ha, they are now hosting it a “onemanslie.info”, which is just the most insane thing.

God, angry consumer gamers are the funniest thing.

A Decent Vice article about the guy who wrote the original post that Reddit got all up in a furor about:

It does ignore things like the NMS studio talking in the week before about it not having multiplayer, and yet people still getting all over them for that, but that is OK.