Norman Skye

Mirrormoon takes only an hour to beat though

My dad bought me this book when I was like 11, and this game keeps reminding me of it.

7 Likes

I keep meaning to open up my Mirrormoon game and finally go find the Final Planet or however it works, but, eh.

Yeah, Mirrormoon (or do I render it M I R R O R M O O N?) is a game I enjoy thinking about more than playing. Itā€™s so cold and cool I get pushed away pretty fast but itā€™s so cold and cool I want to tell everyone about it.

Meanwhile with one trailer No Manā€™s Sky took over the world. I think it was the romantic vision of space everyone keyed into; where Elite: Dangerous sits on the hard sci-fi angle itā€™s just appealing to a much smaller market.

Shame that ā€˜letā€™s expand the Mako parts of Mass Effect 1ā€™ isnā€™t everyoneā€™s favorite thing, because I can sure dig it!

Also in defense of this game Iā€™d say that it definitely is a great time sink. You literally will find yourself tooling around one planet for hours before you realize the whole galaxy is at your fingertips, I just bought a new ship and Iā€™m taking things slow. It is a pleasant diversion from the obsessive post game grinding Iā€™ve been doing in Disgaea 5.

started playing this on PC on monday evening and Iā€™m loving it. Only left the first system after 15 hours with a nice 25 slots ship. And although the primary draw for me was technical (Iā€™m a procgen fetishist) Iā€™m really liking the writing so far, and the language mechanic. Since Iā€™m in my second system Iā€™ve only had contact with the korvax and vyā€™keen but I love the descriptions of their culture and history, and desicrptions of their in-game behaviors. Vyā€™keen are so moe.

As the sole person who thought that Mass Effect 1 had potential squandered by the sequels on the sb mass effect podcast, Iā€™m obviously in this camp.

The Gek are the true moe. They look like a harmless trader species but theyā€™re actually the most bloodthirsty of conquerors

Wild, rough, experimental and open is a much better way to model SPAAACE than closed and tight. I have strong respect for how harshly and smartly Mass Effect 2 cut and focused, from a by-the-book sense, but itā€™s not really a game I want to play. The less said about the bombast and fake breathlessness of ME3 the better.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that yandere, though

Theyre just so nice and friendly. They always say ā€œhello friendā€ when they see me

I do like that there is no incentive to be violent in this game. Like, you can shoot down space ships for some extra loot and fighting off sentinel ships is pretty easy, but its not any faster or easier than just exploring, which has its own adjacent rewards as well.

ME3 is the only game in the series I can stand because it finally gave up all pretensions to being anything other than a jRPG but Iā€™ve had this discussion before

Yeah, having looked into Korvax history I know that one already. The way none of the races are quite like they appear at first glance is great, and also, for the two I know, how theyā€™re primarily defined by their relationship to the sentinels.

[spoiler]I love that the Korvax, apparently rational scientist robots, are the most religious of the bunch. I also love that they arenā€™t robots but software constructs inhabiting controlled bodies, and the acceptance of death that results from the korvax convergence, and so once you know about their history it makes sense that you actually shouldnā€™t heal a dying korvax. I love that the Geks, outwardly so kind of space owls/carebears, are conquerors and slavers. And also the first hint of why all the species share the same tech, as the Gek stole the Korvaxā€™s.

I love the Vyā€™keen philosophy that things should be allowed to change and the hate for the sentinels that ensues, and the story of how their great leader, whose name I forget at the moment, chose to wage war against them and built up a warrior culture for that purpose (or at least I guess thatā€™s what happens, my current knowledge stops at the moment he provoked a sentinel onslaught and saw his people were weak.

Iā€™m also quite intrigued by the multiple wrecked bases I found, infected with weird biological parasites, and how the descriptions of their invader in the logs sound suspiciously like the description of the Atlas. Weā€™ll see how that progresses.[/spoiler]

Thereā€™s also mechanical things I donā€™t like, above all the full screen popups when getting milestones, but more detail on that can wait.

1 Like

Agreed, fullscreen milestone pop ups are terrible. The actual kinesthetics feel shoddy as well.

i canā€™t believe how bad the milestone pop ups are, yes, and i canā€™t believe thereā€™s not a button that makes them go away

2 Likes

The beginning feels like a free to play game 2 years in, when you jump in and all the tutorials and new currencies pop at once from years of addons and expansions. Itā€™s pretty gross! and the leveling curve is completely messed up.

I think itā€™s clear that designers are lacking on the team while engineering is overrepresented ā€“ for all the heat itā€™s getting for the PC port itā€™s shockingly stable for the amount of interactions there are for a team this small.

But you can see them struggling with the math of pacing ā€“ how rare should rare things be? Well, if a player doesnā€™t explore much, pretty frequent is pretty rare to them, but if they donā€™t? How should we pace achievement progress? How can we use achievements to motivate interesting player behavior?

They muddle through these, and luckily these elements support the game but are not core to it, but it wouldā€™ve been nice if it was done properly.

4 Likes

I happen to like how the milestone notifications look and sound quite a bit, but I agree they are pretty annoying when you are already thinking, or in the middle of doing something else. They are also way too common. A standard cheevo popup would feel less intrusive at that point.

I feel like they could shift to the more ornate format for the later ones, because yeah, the early ones just pop up all the time and it gets annoying.

just for the first one each of category would be fine, too. just not all of them, jesus.

Yes. or combine them if you happen to get two, three milestones in close succession