Norman Skye

yeah i’ve been scoffing at this for months but i watched my buddy play it for like half an hour the other day and it uhhhh basically looks amazing, downloading it now

1 Like

I’m still having a grand old time with it! If you want to grind up a lot of money early on and buy better kit here’s how to do it: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/10/12421926/no-mans-sky-quick-units

Polygon has been getting all my NMS clicks today.

This game has eaten my evening for the second night in a row. I crafted some antimatter and made another warp cell for my warp drive but right now I’m exploring a planet I found that wasn’t actively trying to kill me. No toxic rain or freezing temperatures or deadly radiation, and 99% of the local wildlife is pretty chill so far. So I’m just roaming this place finding waypoints and knowledge stones and looking for suit upgrades to increase my carrying capacity. I’ve found two so far!

This game is a great way to relax after a day at the office. Just find a pretty planet to explore and when you get bored of it just hop into your spaceship and zip into space and find another one. Pirates killed me in a space battle earlier while I was responding to a distress signal but I was able to make my way back to retrieve my inventory. It took me about ten minutes or so mostly flying in a straight line to get back to the freighter that was (still) under attack.

Space is really really big!

2 Likes

These light trails are too good. Just gorgeous.

Leaving my spawn planet for the first time was definitely an all time video games moment for me. Like leaving Midgar and seeing the world map for the first time in Fiinal Fantasy VII level shit.

Turning the ship around and looking at the planet after exiting it’s orbit is really exhilarating.

I’m still trying to figure out if I want to drop big money on this game but this is honestly the most damning thing so far. :frowning:

A lonely game with this kind of multiplayer is naturally going to lead to the romantic hope of once in a blue moon finding another person. To have it turn out like this this soon is kiiiiinda bullshit

but hey maybe they’ll patch it idk

one does not just patch multiplayer in.

1 Like

considering how they’ve arranged it, I suppose you’re right. different instances means you can’t just patch in character models and call it a day.

Have Hello Games addressed that article yet? It could just be an issue like the servers not working properly since it just came out and everyone’s playing it.

Given the way they’ve been talking about it, I assume they’ve implemented occasionally-syncing asynchronous multiplayer.

As in, when you go to a planet someone else has visited, you’ll see what they did to the planet. But that requires their modification to make it up to the server and propagate out. And that may take some time. The way he said, “the servers are busy” could directly be those changes propagating slower due to load.

And I think that’s why they talked about it the way they did – if they come out and say it, you think, oh, that’s not that cool. But if you’re playing, and you stumble across a planet that’s obviously been modified, well, what happened here? And if you stumble across a few more, you start following a trail of planets – and then you come to the realization that this was a player, that in the vast un-mathness of it you managed to find another human being out in the infinite stars, well,

that’s a moment.

1 Like

I get that they are going for the lonely explorer atmosphere, and so on.

But on the other hand it would be pretty neat to share coordinates with your buddies to meet at a planet and explore the galaxy together.

I wonder how varied the starting worlds are. I have not watched any videos of people playing the game. The first two planets I looked at were both hazardous (one toxic and one cold). Both have tons of resources but are mostly dirt and rocks. Some animals on my starting world but none on the other. Lots of little outposts, most abandoned.

Last night I went to a third world, and it’s mostly ocean. There seem to be points of interest underwater, but the water is highly radioactive and I have not yet attempted any underwater exploration.

One thing I will be curious to see is whether worlds are always homogeneous. Or whether some have both deserts and forests, for example, or different weather in different places.

This is helpful. Though even with it, I was only able to scan a flying creature when it glitched and froze in place.

yo if somebody can just give me the scripted/art directed version of the game that is actually like the old trailer and maybe 10-15 star systems or whatever i’d be cool

2 Likes

Yeah once again I am super done with “procedural generation” in everything but strategy games.

I have a lot to say about the role and purpose of procedural generation in modern games but this probably isn’t the thread for it! I should probably make a thread for it at some point…

(especially since i have no intention of playing this particular one, i just like looking at the screenshots people make of horrible rng abominations)

3 Likes

roguelikes

We are talking about procedural generation in the axe no no man’s sky thread. Making/splitting the discussion into a new one may be a good idea.

Also: I’m of the opinion that procedural techniques to generate content should be used as another tool for the creation of a more directed, holistic result, or however you want to call it. Not the ends in itself.

example?

this fella made the rounds on twitter earlier

5 Likes

see, the dorsal fin helps him cool off after the gun show

4 Likes

so animals eat other animals?