Norman Skye

Are things I have no interest in playing, yes.

1 Like

no spelunky or necrodancer or nuclear throne, even?

Iā€™ve come across some creatures that looked kind of silly. But then, plenty of creatures in old science fiction movies and artwork looked a little ridiculous. And sometimes that sort of thing can be amusing.

When I was playing Bloodborne, I had fun with the chalice dungeons but I couldnā€™t help but think that they violated one of the important principles of world design in those games. I like how you can study the ground or a random wall without finding repeated textures, let alone repeated overall structures. Finding the same room you saw a while ago but with different colors and minor details is something that only happens in other games.

1 Like

Spelunky I played like three rooms of and was like, oh, okay.

Necrodancer does nothing for me.

I guess Nuclear Throne looks pretty cool.

I really, really, really, really. Really. Like level design.

3 Likes

pfffft. talk to me when strafe comes out. gonna honeypot you so bad.

spelunky has a whole bunch of level design

7 Likes

Yeah I would say Spelunky is procedural but hardly random or lacking in direct intent.

honestly, spelunkyā€™s progression is so bafflingly non-random iā€™m hesitant to call it roguelikey at all

Procedural is a loaded word. letā€™s call it Computer-assisted level design ?

@wourme Every planet is a single biome. So, no, you wonā€™t find that

i wish the creatures in this game were like procedural collages of slimy cubes and pyramids clipping through each other, not dinosaurs

5 Likes

They said things get weirder as you approach the galactic core, so Iā€™m still hoping for some really out there stuff in the late game

Apparently people arenā€™t naming planets after Donald Trump en masse but instead Harambe? So there are I donā€™t know how many planets and plants and species now called Harambe

1 Like

Ugh.

Iā€™ve run out of names for things. I love the soundtrack. I agree with @Mr_Mechanical this game is a wonderful time sink. Iā€™m on the Atlas path because I believe it will lead me to the most alien language knowledge. I like that is is divisive. If Jim Sterling hates it, it must be awesome.

He doesnā€™t hate it in his video that I saw. He just thought it was meh.

Iā€™m not enjoying this at all, and I want my money back. It seems like the most common aspect of enjoyment that positive comments on the game appear to be ā€œitā€™s good to chill out toā€, but Iā€™ll pick my own games to chill out to instead of being told whatā€™s meant to be relaxing.

1 Like

I think they shipped this a couple months too early. I just played an hour of it on steam (long enough to see a space station and a second planet) and went for a refund; itā€™s not quite visually spectacular enough to justify the straightforward resource collection stuff, and I got the impression that I already saw most of what happens in the game on a fundamental levelā€¦

it should be way way better soon though. and I feel bad about all the internet bile theyā€™re gonna get in the meantime.

on the plus side itā€™s openGL and no DRM so it turns out to run perfectly in wine

1 Like

How was your performance? Apparently the PC port is broken, with framerates all over the place