[NIИ]

hang out w me

1 Like

I’m always looking at, then missing shows there, but regardless yeah I should roll through and make this happen.

1 Like

Standing in line y’all.

Good joke.

https://www.darkmattercoffee.com/products/cold-and-black-and-infinite-nine-inch-nails-blend

1 Like

1 Like

bad witch leaked, i’m downloading it now (still going to pay for it even though trent doesn’t need my money)

1 Like

pretty sure I’m Not From This World is a lost Quake b-side

2 Likes

Quake, Lost Highway-era rawness (It’s like during the shooting of Twin Peaks: The Return, Trent realised The Perfect Drug is actually kind of cool), some Scott Walker and definitely some David Bowie stuff in there, all that crooning. An embarassment of riches for just a half hour of music. I don’t know if it’s the novelty of this being the latest release, but this trilogy has felt like a continued progression with interesting variations in the nature of each releases’ aggression and I’m looking forward to taking them on as a whole and seeing how they stack up to each other. With time ADD VIOLENCE has been a particular standout, but I have a feeling Bad Witch will take a similar place. It’s interesting that it has a focus on both the instrumental and the noisier rock anthems.

Year Zero will likely always have a special place in my heart but this is probably the most vital thing done under the Nine Inch Nails name since the 90s and I would readily recommend people who dropped them past that point check this all out. I realise Atticus Ross has been a mainstay since [With_Teeth], but I do wonder if making him a full-time member associated with the act has changed the nature of their collaboration to result in something like this.

3 Likes

Year Zero is good artwork, I really need to contrast that and Hesitation Marks again in close listens. The latter felt like my fav from 00’s on, when I hear a lot of people meh-ed it.

Gonna give the big bad witch a spin later.

4 Likes

OBVIOUSLY YOU’VE EXPLORED VIOLENCE AND AGGRESSION BEFORE, BUT THIS FEELS LIKE A RETURN TO THAT WAVELENGTH. AND THE SHOWS YOU PLAYED LAST YEAR FOLLOWED SUIT. THEY WERE SPARE AND LOUD AND PENETRATING. I’VE HEARD YOU TALK BEFORE ABOUT THE CHALLENGE OF REACHING PEOPLE THROUGH THE POLARIZED HAZE OF ONLINE LIFE, I WONDER IF YOU SEE NINE INCH NAILS, AND PARTICULARLY THIS MORE AGGRESSIVE SIDE OF NINE INCH NAILS, AS AN ANTIDOTE TO ALL THAT, AS A KIND OF EXISTENTIAL GREASE CUTTER. IS THAT WHERE THE NEED TO BE EXTRA ABRASIVE IS COMING FROM?
I THINK THE IMPETUS FOR THIS TRILOGY … GOD, I SOUNDS LIKE SPINAL TAP. LOOK, WHEN I THINK BACK TO THE LAST PROPER ALBUM, HESITATION MARKS, I DON’T REALLY KNOW WHO THAT GUY IS. LIKE, MY HEAD ISN’T THERE ANYMORE. AND IT WASN’T THAT LONG AGO. WE WERE JUST INTO SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I’M MAKING SET LISTS FOR SHOWS COMING UP AND THERE’S VERY LITTLE ON THERE FROM THAT ALBUM BECAUSE I DON’T FEEL IT RIGHT NOW. WHEREAS, I WAS REALLY DOWN ON WITH TEETH FOR A LONG TIME BUT NOW, FOR WHATEVER REASON, IT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. NOT THAT I LISTEN TO IT THAT MUCH BUT IT POPPED ON THE OTHER DAY AND I THOUGHT, FUCK, I FORGOT I EVEN WROTE THAT SONG.

WHERE I’M GOING WITH THIS IS THAT THE STARTING POINT FOR NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS CAME FROM LOOKING EXTERNALLY AND SAYING, WHAT’S MY PLACE IN THIS NOW? WHO AM I? AND AS A WRITER, WHAT CAN I SAY WITH AUTHORITY AND HONESTY? WHAT’S BULLSHIT, WHAT’S SOMETHING I THINK SOMEONE ELSE WANTS TO HEAR, AND WHAT’S REAL? BECAUSE, LOOK: I FEEL AT ODDS WITH THE COLLECTIVE OUTSIDE WORLD, WITH THE COLLECTIVE THEM.

SO WHY MAKE TWO MORE? WHAT MAKES THEM PARTS OF A LARGER WHOLE?
IT WASN’T FULLY MAPPED OUT BUT IT WAS MEANT TO FEEL LIKE IF WE BROKE UP ONE BIG RECORD – IF IT WAS DOWNWARD SPIRAL, WHICH HAS ACTS, IF WE DO AN ALBUM LIKE THAT, BUT RELEASE ONE ACT AT A TIME, IT WILL BE MORE IMMEDIATE AND THE LEVEL OF ADRENALINE AND MOMENTUM WILL BE HIGHER. AND MAYBE IT WILL BE CONSUMED IN A WAY THAT FEELS MORE DIGESTIBLE TO AN OUTSIDE WORLD THAT DOESN’T HAVE LONG ATTENTION SPANS ANYMORE. WITH THE SECOND ONE, ADD VIOLENCE, THE IDEA WAS, LOOSELY, TO ZOOM OUT, TO BE MORE GLOBAL AND TO IMPLY THAT MAYBE WE’RE ALL IN A SIMULATED REALITY. AND THAT MIGHT INTRODUCE THE CONCEPT OF MEANINGLESSNESS BUT ALSO PROVIDE A SAFE CONTAINER TO EXPLAIN WHY EVERYTHING FEELS OFF.

BY THE TIME WE GOT TO THE THIRD ONE, WE HAD AN IDEA IN MIND BUT IT FELT … REHEARSED. PREDICTABLE. IN THE END, WHAT FELT TRUE WAS TO SAY THAT WE AS A SOCIETY AND AS A SPECIES ARE PROBABLY AN ACCIDENT, A MUTATION. REALLY WHAT WE ARE IS FUCKING ANIMALS. AND THE ILLUSION WAS ENLIGHTENMENT. THE MORE WE’VE CONNECTED WITH EACH OTHER THE DUMBER WE’VE GOTTEN AND THE MORE WE DECIDE WE WANT TO KILL EACH OTHER. WE’RE NOT SOME ELEVATED TRANSCENDENT BEINGS, WE’RE BACTERIA IN A JAR. I WANTED THE ART DIRECTION OF BAD WITCH TO FEEL LIKE SHADOWS ON A CAVE WALL AND WE’RE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS AND REALLY THERE’S NO NICE, CLEAN, SAFE SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION. WE’RE JUST AN ACCIDENT. STRING THEORY AND QUANTUM PHYSICS IS A FUCKING TRICK. AND WE’RE NOT GOING TO SUDDENLY ELEVATE OURSELVES INTO TRANSCENDENT BEINGS. WE’RE KIDDING OURSELVES. I KNOW THIS WILL BE AN UNSATISFYING CONCLUSION FOR SOME PEOPLE. IT ISN’T WHAT THEY WANT. THEY WANT IT TO BE FULL MATRIX VIRTUAL REALITY, AND THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF THAT, THIS IS DIRT AND A BROKEN COMPUTER CHIP AND EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE IN IS REALLY JUST BULLSHIT.

THOSE ARE SOME GOOD THOUGHTS ESPECIALLY HOW HE HAS REDISCOVERED WITH TEETH WHICH IS A GOOD ALBUM MAYBE NEXT HE WILL DECIDE HE LIKES KINDA I WANT TO THAT WOULD BE GOOD.

Interview by Daphny.

I liked the last two EPs, and man, each of these is better than the last. You can basically witness him get his inspiration back; see this haze and distance fade away, and watch (originally typed “witch”) him engage with his muse again instead of chasing this ideal of a Good Song, which has been a distraction ever since the Fragile’s long and tortured incubation.

i always really dug With Teeth tbh

1 Like

1 Like

I hated with teeth and it was when nin started to become less relevant to me but recently i’ve been thinking of it a lot better and think i might actually really like it now??

It’s me! With-a Teeth-io!

I always forget Home isn’t on most editions, as it feels like the natural end to the album to me.

I can’t edit that. But. He didn’t actually die. I don’t think.

its cool he brought back the saxophone but lets not forget he’s also trained in tuba

bring back the tuba, trent

2 Likes

Just title the fucking thing OOMPAH.

The art can be like Strobe Light, but with a mustache and Bavarian bandleader’s jerkin.

Short yet spicy take: With Teeth is “Everything”: The Album.

It’s also got some of Reznor’s all-time greatest songs on it, seriously.

I love how most of the album has this sort of verfremdungseffekt going on, where it’s striking a distance from NIN’s familiar all-encompassing drama in favor of just sort of saying “Whoa, that’s… sure something over there, isn’t it.” It’s amongst his most sincere works, and also often hilarious.

Like, “Only” is basically Reznor satirizing his early work, especially but not exclusively “Down In It.” It’s so absurd. Deliberately so. Combine that with stuff like “Every Day is Exactly the Same” and you really get this picture of Reznor… uh, thinking he used to have a porpoise. But now he’s got arms that flip, flop, flip.

Like, he’s more raw and human here than anywhere, to the extent that he’s putting aside his normal act, and allowing himself to be silly, to observe how ridiculous his persona has been.

“You were never really real to begin with. I just made you up to hurt myself.”

It’s the album where it becomes clearest that most of the time when Reznor speaks to a “You” he’s talking to himself. Or to, if you will, to Mr. Self Destruct. To that part of himself.

This comes back in a significant way in Hesitation Marks.

And he’s got several songs in odd meters (“The Collector” is 13/4 in the verses) just to fuck people up and keep them from being able to dance to them. I believe I read him actually explaining that at one point.

This is Nine Inch Nails as a rock band. And man, it works. It’s a good rock band. It’s not the thing NIN should be all the time, and it isn’t. But it was fun to go here, and I can see how cathartic it was for him at the time.

1 Like

Speaking of, I know the live shows take some liberty but this is the weirdest version of “Everything” I’ve heard.

And I didn’t realize he already had a video out from Bad Witch.