[NIИ]

1 Like

It fucks me up the way that people in mainstream publications count his albums. As if Broken isn’t a major work, despite it being technically classed as an EP. And so on.

I mean, it’s eight tracks (counting the +2); 32 minutes long.

Please Please Me is 33 minutes long, across 14 tracks. A Day at the Races is 44 minutes, across 10 tracks. The Lodger is 10 tracks and 35 minutes.

And there’s no way you can just call Broken a longer-form single.

Speaking of which, that third EP should hit… soon? Not the Actual Events was right before Christmas last year, right?

Yeah, was just looking at that. It’s a weird arrangement/performance, especially on Trent’s end.

It seems like the 2017 Definitive LPs all come with long, square articles about the albums’ development and reception. Some look possibly reprinted, at least in part, from the contemporary press?

3 Likes

Yeah…

Danny Hyde on Recoiled:

Here is a video showing the making of the Nine inch nails " Recoiled "record.
And why/How it came about.
Maybe it will go in some way in Explaining the steps taken for the release.
The end section of video has footage filmed at time of construction, with various solo samples.

2 Likes

Frontal projection images that were played during the La Mer/The Great Below/The Way Out Is Through section of the concert.

1 Like

Imagery looking very old school art industrial.

And no FL tour dates (w/The Jesus and Mary Chain) eerghhh…I might trek to the ATL.

Man, Trent, I get the whole “physical ticket sales” thing but it is super not cool to everyone not lucky enough to live near one of your venues.

Also, way to abandon Cleveland, dog.

Seriously. I mean, I get it. But when I was living in Portland, Maine I took a family road trip to see the Hesitation Marks tour performance in Montreal. This is like the live-action version of his all-vinyl approach to album sales.

Anyway, nice that he’s delivering on the third EP. Guess the touring delayed it a while?

1 Like

CONCLUSION. SHADOWS ON THE CAVE WALL.

TRACKLIST

1. SHIT MIRROR
  2. AHEAD OF OURSELVES
  3. PLAY THE GODDAMNED PART
  4. GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR
  5. I’M NOT FROM THIS WORLD
  6. OVER AND OUT
1 Like

GOD BREAK DOWN THE DOOR

2 Likes

I feel like this is the song they would’ve performed on twin peaks if it had existed at that point

Because Trent has turned into Outside era David Bowie.

Which is, you know, where Lost Highway is.

3 Likes

We find if we don’t watch ourselves we tend to try to get somewhere comfortable, because it feels better. And from the sound of the drums to the kind of frantic drumbeat to looking around the studio and seeing the untouched baritone tenor and alto sax that are sitting there. They’re there because they remind me that I can’t play them as well as I used to be able to. For 20 years, I’ve been saying I’m going to really get my technique back because it would be fun to do. And there they sit taunting me in the corner. We pulled them out and we just started fucking around really, led with Atticus [Ross] arranging. I was just kind of going, an hour performance kind of turned into this thing that felt like we hadn’t been there before and that started to reveal a whole different character. The space changed and then we felt motivated. When it came time to sing I was really just trying things out, just to see. I never had the courage to sing like that, I didn’t know I could sing like that.

1 Like

Some thinking in here about the concept behind the EP trilogy and the tour shape.

On the latter count, he was inspired by a LCD Soundsystem show in a small club. He’s like, “I know it’s going to irritate people, and if it doesn’t work then we won’t do it that way next time.” But this is literally the all-vinyl thing I was joking about. He’s doing this for the experience, to try to capture something he thinks is vanishing. He compares it to going to Amoeba Records versus buying your music in a store that sells washing machines, and the different social experience involved.

It just strikes me as hilarious that the small clubs he actually had that experience in (i.e. in Cleveland), he is skipping. Some real copy of a copy of an experience shit there, Trent. The falsity of nostalgia or something.

2 Likes

They’re not the actual events.

3 Likes