News VI: Fires of Rumorcon

that’s what I was thinking of

1 Like

What the hell is torgal gameplay. This is like when everyone started talking about raids all the time. I don’t know what’s going on with anything any more.

5 Likes

Rip-off Steam game had its page taken down earlier today, the system actually works maybe for real this time.

11 Likes

I think wall squeezes are a particularly crude and ineffectual way of disguising load times in modern games, so I can’t imagine why anyone would think to release a video showing it off

1 Like

Are they any worse than elevators or doors that open slowly, though?

1 Like

Yeah they’re worse. Vertiginous elevators and impossibly heavy doors are cool.

If it’s a squeeze, they should at least make you crawl through a ventilation shaft or shimmy on a cliff edge. What is the fantasy behind squeezing through poorly positioned fencing

7 Likes

When I played Ff7R and it had the same crack-shimmy as Shadow of Tomb Raider I hooted and howlered.

I loved how many games post Gears of War used GoW animations in different context. Another hooting and howlering.

1 Like

idk it’s still preferable to loading screens, although ff7r got real goofy with how much it relied on them

I do think the idea behind the clip they showed is to show off your dog companion who can help you find hidden areas. if you find the original tweet from the jp squeenix account that posted this video the caption talks specifically about your doggie friend. I think it’s nice.

I did see a particularly amusing take that by posting this clip they are lowkey confirming a PC port, which is quite a leap of logic.

5 Likes

it’s not the load masking imo. it’s the “whoosh” sfx, zoom, and vignetting when you activate dog detective vision denoted by an animated barking dog icon above the dog (not barking)

7 Likes

Whether it helps or not, market research tends to suggest that high average playtimes generate more revenue. If there’s a way to make your game longer, more replayable, moddable etc. it usually improves:

• the likelihood of word of mouth spreading
  • it being streamed for a longer period of time
  • satisfies a weird dollar:hour ratio that many people have when they buy a game.

I’m not a fan of these kinds of designs but the cynical reason is ‘cos money (potentially?)’

5 Likes

shenmue iii has a few corridors with “no running” signs to hide load times, though not until you get to the second town which is much bigger and a lot busier than the first

7 Likes

okay but its cool when the frogwares sherlock holmes games do dog detective vision with dramatic whooshes and vignetting

4 Likes

I’d rather take a load screen in a heartbeat and just rest my hand/eyes for a second. Having to hold up to load the next zone is kind of insulting to me for some reason

15 Likes

Thats exactly what I don’t like about it. Pushing a joystick forward just to load the next zone doesn’t feel more immersive than just loading the next zone, and I feel a little bit like I am being insulted that they think this would fool me.

8 Likes

I guess I’m fine with either, variety is the spice of gaming etc etc

3 Likes

I want a game that is almost entirely squeezing through tight spaces. A squeezelike if you will

This is my hole etc

12 Likes

They could just have the lead character sneezing and then trying to find his handkerchief among all his belts, chains, zippers before just wiping on his sleeve and advancing anyways

12 Likes

going to save this for the don quixote game

9 Likes
7 Likes

ah the good, round sonic

4 Likes