Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

FUKKEN YESSSS

edit:

edit 2:

Gosh I guess I forgot the casual racism in this clip

4 Likes

this is much sooner and cheaper than I expected!

I wish it weren’t competing with absolver but wow!!!

2 Likes

but the saints row successor that no one cared about and looked surprisingly bland is apparently not great after all

this is good though because the few weeks from sonic straight through to wolfenstein are gonna be bonkers for releases

Rock of Ages is probably Ace Team’s best game so far

agreed, their other stuff doesn’t really work as well (seemingly by design and it’s kept them in business so whatever) but I adored the original and I can’t wait for this

Cat rpg makes me smile

16 Likes

Yeah, uh, the good life sounds like about the best thing a video game can be. Always surprised by the lack of games where the day/night cycle drastically changes PC mechanics.

Dr. Dos finally launched his Museum of ZZT yesterday. It’s a pretty impressive compendium of ZZT games, articles, comics, and other ZZT-related/community tidbits and artifacts.

The current collection of games is borrowed from z2, the now-classic ZZT archive. However, Dr. Dos has added a lot of extra database stuff, online file viewers, links to play the games in your browser, and more. While z2 was a community hub, the Museum is clearly directed at a more general audience, who might have memories of the game from their youths or encountered it in games writing like Anna Anthropy’s book.

The Museum also is actively soliciting new games and new old games, old materials, and articles. It’s really neat. If you’ve ever been curious about ZZT or want to rediscover stuff, it’s worth a visit or twelve.

4 Likes

I know precious little about the PS3’s hardware and its API but I never would have expected the PS3 to be emulated to a degree of minimal glitch (albeit only for a handful of games) this soon.

Same goes for Cemu.

What’s causing this dramatically different development trajectory for this generation of emulators? Is it that they are adopting more of an archival standpoint than a hobbyist standpoint? PCSX2’s code has been cleaned up and they’re moving away from plugins but it remains a constant glitchfest in many, many games. Same for most N64 emulators, to the point that RetroArch is doing a hard-ish fork of their own of Mupen.

the PS2 and the N64 are arguably the exceptions that prove the rule, though, in terms of being really hard to emulate accurately with their RDRAM and proto-GPUs often being implemented through HLE hacks. both of them were emulated well enough relatively quickly (most games were playable in PCSX2 in 2008-2009, whereas UltraHLE was a thing in 1999 but nobody could run mario tennis until like ten years later), compared to RPCS3 only getting to a kind-of-playable state for a few titles over a decade after the original hardware shipped.

the PS3’s CPU architecture remains insane but it’s still just a CPU, there’s only so much unexpected behaviour you’re going to encounter there once you get it working at all. the GPU is just a 7800 GT with an OpenGL-ish API

2 Likes

also don’t underestimate how far they have to go before getting something like the last of us or even RDR working. demon’s souls was actually a very reachable early target from what I understand.

'spose having a patreon helps a little too

also, if you look at the RPCS3 codebase, dependencies, etc., it’s all really modern – https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/tree/master/3rdparty

when the platforms are new enough to not worry about getting the timing perfect you can benefit from a lot of existing libraries

“Set in the tumultuous period of 12th century England, The Pillars of the Earth sees main characters such as Jack, Aliena and Prior Phillip fight to construct a revolutionary gothic cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge and put their town on the map economically, socially and politically. Such aspirations draw the ire of the the town’s rivals Bishop Waleran and William Hamleigh, a vengeful noble rejected by Aliena, who see the town and its rise to importance as a thorn in their flesh. They want to see Kingsbridge burn. This epic tale crosses decades and immerses readers in medieval life yet enthralls them in tales of heart-rending intimacy and humanity along the way.”

This looks real nice and pretty, but also I cannot find a way to give a shit about this game of thrones deadly political historidrama stuff.

1 Like

Apparently, this was released yesterday. I would be curious to hear impressions from anyone who tries it. I liked the hallucinatory haunted house-type experience of Layers of Fear, and it sounds as if this game also features that sort of thing.

Also, it takes place in the same year as Robotron.

1 Like

1 Like

the story in the new lord of the rings is a horny man’s bizarre shelob fan fiction