Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

There’s an add-on for the Vive that just passed the FCC but it requires that you mount a big transmitter the size of a lighthouse.

https://uploadvr.com/tpcasts-pc-transmitter-gets-fcc-approval/

probably worth waiting for that to be first-party.

yeah, I think it’s like a year out for me still

And there are a bunch of easy ergonomic fixes that should come with Vive 2.

more importantly when is someone gonna mod in trance vibrator support

4 Likes
2 Likes

The list is on the one hand almost brutally unambiguous: There are precisely nineteen genders. On the other hand, every entry here raises new questions: What’s the difference between EXTRA2 and EXTRA 3? Why is being imprisoned a gender? Are there 46 missing genders? What happened to them?

5 Likes

okay fine I’ll buy Rez again

1 Like

this was my first time playing area X! it was OK!

I bought this on PS4 in like november and I haven’t played it yet I love rez what is wrong with me

My concern isn’t so much Brad Muir, it’s what kind of process at Valve led to a Hearthstone clone being greenlighted in the midst of absolutely no new IP or even ambitious sequels for years now? I can only conclude that Valve thinks ambitious shrinkwrapped games are dead, today it’s continuous revenue streams or nothing.

I think Valve may well redeem themselves with some ambitious VR-only games that are rumored to be brewing over there (shrinkwrapped games not so much for their own sake but as platform anchors, much like HL2 bootstrapped Steam), but as of today Valve is officially in a rut.

they’ve directly said as much for like 6 years now. they aren’t a video game company, they are a company that Leverages Video Game Technology and Communities to Innovate in the Market of Monetizing Existing Assets

I’m sure you can look forward to some Exciting Synergies between Dota Cardstone, Dota 2, and the Steam Marketplace

5 Likes

I’m wondering, when Gabe Newell left Microsoft to found Valve, was he passionate about videogames? Or was he like this all along?

I’m reminded of this article I read yesterday:

about an ex-Facebooker who gave all appearances of truly caring about great journalism, but eventually revealed his technocratic core.

This is exactly right. They preached this at us in Steam Dev Days. They’re interested in solving problems in the PC gaming space, which isn’t really the same thing as making games. They’ll make a game (and probably do a good job at it) if they believe they’re seeing something that no one has implemented correctly. In the past few years, this has been: PC free-to-play models, changing how mods work (and monetize), playing with community engagement in e-sports.

The Valve writer moonlighting with us at 17-BIT was doing so explicitly because that wasn’t his day job.

1 Like

[rambling off-topic]
I don’t envy journalists working under the drive for clicks and headline-bait BUT that article’s by the ex-CEO; since the New Republic ouster (which generated plenty of scorn from the now old and well-established writer who grew up there under (ick) Andrew Sullivan’s 90’s tenure), they’ve hired better, younger writers to replace the older ones who left. I don’t browse the site but I see more and better articles linked from The New Republic than I did a year ago.

Yeah, probably best not to take that writer’s account at face value since New Republic was a bit shit for the entire tenure of the previous owner AFAICT. And New Republic writers have had a certain history of comically self-serving anti-Silicon-Valley screeds including outright fabrications.

Still, I feel that he has some insight into a certain Silicon Valley personality type, a seemingly strongly felt, yet superficial, unattached “passion” that seamlessly dissolves when money, data and “scale” leads away from it. I see it also in characters like Elon Musk.

1 Like

Agreed, it doesn’t take long for the scales to fall from your eyes when interacting with ‘idealist’ venture capitalists.

Glad my current job doesn’t require any courting of money

1 Like

I still love what a bizarre peripheral the steam controller is

everything they did with steamOS was better for linux development generally than it ever was for anything resembling a business model of theirs, but I totally don’t mind the valve that brings weirdo HCI prototypes to market for seemingly no reason

elon musk is still the name of an 80’s action movie villain, I refuse to believe anything else.

of course, with the way he’s deified we may yet get there irl

1 Like

I believe the play with Steam OS was a hedge against Windows potentially locking down to the app store, which seems reasonable given the size of Steam next to, what, 30 million in dev costs?

The Steam controller was originally their VR controller but they ended up selling it as a move to support a niche community that wanted to play RTS games on televisions, which…well I guess I didn’t work so hot but I think the Steam OS team adopted those folks for a few months just to be nice.

4 Likes