Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I remember when they first announced “we’re making a ninja game about mental health” and I went “uh-oh”

1 Like

Oh yeah, and then they revealed it would star a woman, and I remembered DmC and went “OH SHIT NO”.

Then Celt wandering through Viking mythology and I went “OH GODDAMMIT” followed by “…secret nazis?”

1 Like

I still have high hopes for this one

Riffs on ethereal classical structures in space like in 2001 and Magnetic Rose are extremely my shit and so are doppelgängers so I’ll be there eventually one way or another.

@dracko i can’t remember if i only ever thought to post this or that i actually did but i just wanted you to know that i very much appreciate your consistent efforts in keeping me/us clued in on things i’m far long past too arsed to have the heads up on myself whether they align with my tastes or not (though the rate at which they at least pique my curiosity is alarming)

anyway thanks for your posts itt and elsewise

6 Likes

I mostly just have a lot of YouTube subscriptions. Thanks and you’re welcome.

7 Likes

Dracko alone keeps videogames alive

not too long now, this is like dolphin or PCSX2 in ~2008

probably gonna be the most powerful console ever to be emulated on x86 too so pour one out

You’re predicting the death of x86 by ARM? Or you mean next to x64

no no no x64 is a nonexistent architecture that people only use as shorthand because of microsoft branding, it’s just an extension to the x86 instruction set, no one calls 64-bit arm “armx64”

I mean, this is the last game console that will be weak enough relative to x86 PCs, or the last game console that won’t be x86-based for that matter, in order to be emulated

Language synchronization on the first point,

Ah, on the second.

The Switch is already ARM-based so I don’t see why you would predict x86 future for consoles. It could stay that way for settop consoles, but I can also envision a future where ARM will eventually eat up everything that’s not a server.

well, the logic goes like this:

• 7nm will probably be the last process shrink for “regular” computers as we know them, which means we have like one full generation of improvements left in terms of what can go on-die

• we might get one more significant IPC improvement in that time, which means that the most powerful theoretical x86 desktop will be at most 1.5x as fast per thread (taking into account higher clocks as well) as it is now, up to however many cores

• even though ARM-on-x86 has historically been fairly performant, the best recompiler emulation available probably can’t do better than like a 4x IPS differential, and modern ARM chipsets (even non-apple ones, though not the tegra in the switch) are already past that w/r/t x86 desktops

• sony and microsoft are obviously committed to x86 for consoles at least through the end of regular process shrinks, meaning there’s no need for emulation (it might be possible to virtualize the PS4 on a windows box in ten years though, who knows) up through the end of likely x86 process improvements, after which … ?

2 Likes
2 Likes

45 minutes of slowly rotating camera and ambient music. It’s Sunday evening, why not.

2 Likes
1 Like

The successor to Grow Home (not counting its sequel)? Too bad it’s seemingly an Xbone exclusive.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/persona-q2-announced-3ds

P3D!

1 Like