Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

sf4 is hideous

1 Like

I still feel like the only way to make 3D models look good in a 2D fighter is cel shading

and if we take as a given that a) people still want new 2D fighters with the kind of budgets that demand existing licenses and b) theyā€™re gonna fuck up collision detection either way, based on present evidence, I say letā€™s cel shade

3 Likes

did any of you play the absolver beta?

nope but it looks really good

in other recent midbudget indie news

I guess this came from the same initiative as setsuna, ā€œmake a game like one of our old properties and weā€™ll fund and release it.ā€ the mechanics look pretty interesting but the presentation isnā€™t doing it for me at all and the animations look really weightless

meanwhile the presentation of this looks fantastic but I donā€™t really want to play it and itā€™s coming out in the middle of the original sin 2 / absolver / dishonored clusterfuck

also sundered looks really good, I hope to heck itā€™s better-made than jotun

I was in the Absolver Beta. I think botagel was too. I had some issues with the control method but I signed an NDA to play it. Kinda just want to wait and see how the player base settles on for easy decks. Itā€™s a bit more work that Dark Souls builds and God Hand combo edits.

Well thatā€™s some cool history.

I mean there are now 4 different games called Ys 4 and the only one actually made by Falcom is the Vita one.

1 Like

Quality over quantity (haw haw haw)

1 Like

I keep thinking I know that Pyre is gorgeous in my brain but I just donā€™tā€¦ feel it.

1 Like

theyā€™ve been pretty oblique about how it actually plays for whatever reason

but itā€™s not like Iā€™m not excited about ā€œsupermelee-style game with branching narrative paths from the makers of transistorā€

what is supermelee style

archon / star control

paul reiche

hm OK thatā€™s actually pretty tangible

I loved memories of the past. nice simple detective stories, no convoluted horseshit, and there was a smoke break mechanic where you could stop to go through the case in your head anytime.

3 Likes

i love their other two but this looks boring.

I know :frowning:

Yeah Pyre looks like a chore, which is a shame

It looks likeā€¦ fantasy fire basketball?