Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

anyway speaking of things from 20 years ago coming back Fighting Layer EX got that

and darun

9 Likes

!!!

REPRESENT ALL BONE BODS

I need to watch this again to see if it has trademark kingdom hearts cutscene windblowing noise since all KH cutscenes take place in a decorated void.

An Arika fighting game in the vein of the EX series seems pointless without a new Hosoe/Saso/Aihara/Watanabe soundtrack – and maybe even lo-poly models. The soundtrack for sure, though.

This is about the closest I get to having a “why can’t new game be like old game” opinion.

3 Likes

you’re mistaken, Disney has such good Sound Engineers™ that they_always_ cancel out unwanted noise.ALWAYS.
Never, i repeat, never would this be a sign of budget…

1 Like

weird to think that ys is only at 7.

they made an eight at some point

but 7 is coming out? WHAT IS GOiN’ ON?

7 is a port of a ten year old psp game, 8 is the newest and it’s coming out on ps4/pc like, a week or two after 7 i think? odd release strategy

still FF is at like 22, and ys is at 8? Just kinda funny.

dragon quest is at 10(ish?), Star Ocean at 5, Fifa at 17… wait a second, sth seems odd here.

A little bit misguided since falcom is a small studio that has mostly self published. And it is discounting zero, celceta, falgonna. Ys is just one of the things they made. That they have remained and endured at roughly the same size for 30 years is amazing. Supposedly they have never ended a year at a loss which is also fucking incredible for a Japanese company.

But god yeah 7 was 9 years ago huh? Legendary Heroes had to get Anime-popular without a multi-media marketing push. That series has to be approaching 20 titles if you start counting them.

1 Like

The presentation of Capcom games used to be soooo much better. Does anyone here have any inside info as to why the art direction has been so poor with SFV? It’s almost like they believe people play street fighter to study frame data and don’t care about art at all.

Even one of the producers of MvC just said in an interview that “If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They’re just doing things”

I don’t understand how they could go from SFIV to SFV and come to the conclusion that “characters are just functions” with the implication being that the art diretion doesn’t matter.

Example:

SFIV = FUN!

SFV = boring…

thirty bucks for absolver, incidentally

also new supergiant game is next week and looks kind of supermelee-esque

Capcom spent years outsourcing everything but like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil and chased off most of its top talent, so you’re left with a whole buncha goofs chasing last season’s fad and failing horribly.

4 Likes

well OK

When SF4 came out the series kinda lost me. SF3 had this loose, fluid, cartoony style that had a fresh energy. SF4’s art direction to me said, “we tried our best to make 3d models look interesting”. SF5 just looks like they took these lumpy meat-bags and made them more gross. I’m not a core FG player, but what drew me to purchase so many capcom fighters were the interesting characters and excellent art. 4 and 5 look like serviceable products, but they’re missing everything that drew me in.

2 Likes

having a “Shop” button w/ the trolley sitting right there, in the main menu, is one of the first signs of “didn’t give a shit”.
Also showing the version number is … weird? Put that on a loading screen or when you enter the battle lounge.
And then there’s the wakko’ use of highlight on the active menu-item/item, rendering the text barely readable.

So, at a glance, Yes, there are quite a few things wrong with this, agreed.

Capcom pls go

1 Like