Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

With a little google fu I’m reading that emulators already exist for XBox One but they violate TOS for their app store. Do they just not take them down?

All emulators submitted to the app store get removed, yes. But if you build them with correct certificates or whatever you can sideload UWP apps on to Xbone, apparently.

2 Likes

No one is surprised by this.

I am surprised by Star Fox 2.

Good game list. I’m disappointed at the lack of a single deep cut but I get it. SNES has a really big canon. They picked the correct 3 JRPGs, but the wrong DKC and the wrong Kirby. I’m getting one, sigh.

Kirby 3 stinks, Super Star was the right choice

2 Likes

nintendo is bad

6 Likes

The famicom mini had a lot of games that were more interesting than popular. This is the opposite.

The SFox2 inclusion also fills me with cynicism.

I bet this’ll help Switch sales tho

Wake me up when they’re at the GameCube Mini

6 Likes

Why’s that? I think it’s a positive step for Nintendo to view unreleased and untranslated games as worth fixing up and shipping to a broad audience.

I look forward to not being able to find this one either.

I’d argue the precedent for Nintendo doing that was some 10 years ago when Sin and Punishment popped up on Wii VC and then letting other publishers sell untranslated games

and then again when they starting selling EB Zero

the actual interesting part here, between Star Fox 2 and Yoshi’s Island is that they’re doing Super FX games again

1 Like

I guess Nintendo must’ve used fan-translation-style ROM hacking techniques for Star Fox 2. It’s actually pretty unusual for legit game studios to even have anyone on staff familiar with those tricks, most programmers throw up their hands if they don’t have source code. My feeling is this is a grassroots labor of love by somebody inside Nintendo who really wanted to see Star Fox 2 happen, was willing and able to ROM hack, and got buy-in from the higher-ups.

1 Like

I’m disappointed the game list isn’t entirely games that start with “Super”.

7 Likes

if it’s like the NES Classic, it’s being done by NERD so it’s probably exactly that

1 Like

ftfy

4 Likes

Shut my mouth, it’s on the list!

Apologies @VastleCania

2 Likes

That game [Starfox 2] won’t be available to play from the start, however. Players will have to unlock it through playing the original Star Fox game, also included with the SNES Classic Edition system.

Huh.