Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I don’t disagree but that’s a pretty low bar

RM&F (I should stop calling it this because it was later localized but I first played it on ZSNES so nyah) has 7-style sprites, right? yet I remember it being pretty darn good…

The graphics and gameplay are based on Megaman 8. A couple of the bosses were ported over directly. Kind of funny seeing a semi-sequel (stand-alone expansion?) to a PSX/Saturn game released on the Super Nintendo.

2 Likes

oh, well, there you go

Wait, I just realized that I did play MM8, I totally forgot it was included on the original MM Anniversary Collection. Now I remember liking the way it looked but being underwhelmed by the game itself. Somehow I guess I found it more forgettable than MM7, which I think is bad but still underrated. I would rank it above most of the PS MMX games, which just feel like weird cut-rate imitations to me. RM&F is the one I’ve never played. They should have put that in the new collection!

I know it’s really weird that’s it’s not there, even if it was only localized on the GBA

MMX after MMX4 is definitely not good

also I just want to mention that I totally hate this too (it’s actually a significant part of why I dislike modern street fighter, it’s like, aaaaaa, the form seems completely wrong for the frame you chose, either modernize it or don’t, stop going self-consciously retro when it ignores later successes), I am a huge pain in the ass about it, I didn’t play 9 for years as a result, but 9 is really good

OK, you are going to have to break this down into points I can actually understand.

I promise I won’t bite your head off this time. Probably.

6 was the best MM (before Minus Infinity), why can’t they work off of that.

Actually, just work off of Minus Infinity, fuck. The Frog Fractions of Mega Man games.

oh man I don’t want to have this argument again, I’m gonna have to have all of you put your feet in my mouth in a row like a receiving line at a foot fetishist’s wedding

OK let me try to break it down into a few points:

• I don’t like it when old franchises are revived at the exact point of their most popular entry – in terms of aesthetic design or then-current hardware – as it strikes me as cynical and uninspired, and it’s almost always the case that the franchise continued to do interesting things after that big smash hit moment, which effectively disappear from the canon as maintained by the publisher thereafter.

• this is compounded by my dislike of slavishly sustaining old brands indefinitely

• I also don’t like it when older technological eras (eg “NES graphics”) are explicitly called back to (though I make exceptions for lesser-known ones, like amiga graphics or classic mac graphics) because it’s very difficult to do so authentically unless you’re working in an authentic engine (as with minus infinity), and the result is usually “thing that is 80% NES-like but wouldn’t have actually worked on the NES so maybe we should’ve actually tried to use more interesting dithering from the get-go or something.”

• I also don’t like it when 2D games are remade with 3D models and environments but kept 2D because it just looks bad and cheap (like new SMB or SFV) and the collision behaviour is never what it would be if the game were 3D in the first place or if it still had 2D assets.

I think I’m just very particular about what’s intended as authenticity. I have never once bought an emulator-packaged title on any platform because and a) I don’t trust them to get the emulation right, b) unlike a normal human I am infinitely willing to get it right myself, and c) I consider IP piracy to be basically negligible.

1 Like

I also find about 30% of otherwise good unity games unplayable chiefly on the basis of bad menu graphics and sound design but that’s neither here nor there

I also run arch linux

also should’ve appended to this

… “because of the inconvenience encountered by the other human beings”

Select Button

2 Likes

http://ayasuke2.exblog.jp/25833311/

5 Likes

This actually bothers me a lot, too.

I don’t have a problem with 2.5D gameplay, though, especially in genres where “3D gameplay” means a dramatic change to how the game actually works without a damn good idea of how to do it. I still wish Tekken x Street Figher had happened, I would’ve liked to see the outcome of that. Akuma in Tekken 7 is pretty amusing for that.

1 Like

god I forgot how fucking thick all the presliced bread in Japan is

Leaked Game Informer cover story on AssCreed Origins. Click for the whole album.

Camel riding!

I really hope this ends up being the combination Metal Slug/Castlevania this screen suggests.

yeah but then you get stuff like this which is just

perfect

trying to figure out if Wipeout Omega Colleciton is worth it if I already played Wipeout HD and Fury to exhaustion on PS3. I mean it probably is because I would play those games to exhaustion again, but $40 worth it? anybody in the same boat here? @Father.Torque?

Called the Cleopatra thing as soon as there was a rumor about Egypt being the setting

1 Like