Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

Well, it’s good to know Ubi has moved from “let’s murder NYC’s poor people” (the basic plot of the Division) to “let’s murder the rural poor people” and added in one black guy on the bad guy side, because we wouldn’t want anyone to think this was “racist” or some other such “well, what if both sides are good” bullshit.

2 Likes

looks like there’s different factions in the usual far cry way. I’d be surprised if they ignored racism in this setting.

doubt we’ll see anything remotely insightful come out of this, but at least it looks like they might be trying?

1 Like

I really like the setting.

And airplanes!

This just looks so market tested to make the left think “YEAH GET THEM TRUMP VOTERS” and the trump bros to go “well, this isn’t really about us” so that Ubi can maximize them profits.

The setting could be good, totally, but my trust in Ubi to do this at all is so minimal.

3 Likes

I mean, it’ll be Far Cry 4: Montana Edition. I think Ubisoft is just counting on the people who bought the last seven Far Cry games to buy this one too. They don’t really care how the press or whoever interprets it because the game doesn’t have any actual politics to begin with. It’s just a big Rorschach blob for Far Cry fans to project themselves onto.

2 Likes

Oh no, I think we are sorta in agreement on that. They wanted a bit of press attention for their game, but their goal is remaining remarkably apolitical. What’s hilarious is how their attention grab relied on politics, while they are going to aggressively run away from saying anything at all.

1 Like

The profit motive sure does crapifie art.

Though it’s nice Ubi are able to employ as many artists as they do.

2 Likes

:sweatpig:

Vanquish PC has a weird bug where the health/stagger system are tied to framerate. I thought I was just really bad at it!

that, and apparently 15GB of the 18GB the game ships are just uncompressed cutscenes

definitely a japanese PC port

5 Likes

It could be worse. Titanfall had 35 GB of uncompressed audio.

3 Likes

couldn’t even ogg vorbis that shit huh

it’s perfectly okay to have giant gobs of uncompressed video because it’ll at least upscale well in the future as opposed to some shitty Bink job

also, yes, fuck what TF1 did

It’s just 1080p though, surely they could’ve given us h264/5 4k encodes if they cared about upscaling

there was a horrific new trailer for FF12 today, i couldn’t even finish watching it. i’m angry someone got paid to make it.

if i didn’t know the game was good it would have made me hate the game

it elicited such strong emotions that i actually clicked the “dislike” button on a youtube video for the first time

4 Likes

let me tell you about how 1080p is still the predominant monitor res and that a computer that can run Vanquish at minimum specs might not be able to handle a 4k encode

I was thinking about that and apparently the nvidia fixed-function decoder can do it as of kepler but not fermi

so you have a (narrow) point

apparently you also take more damage in PC vanquish the higher your frame-rate

i have two thoughts about this:

• that kind of owns
  • i hope they fix that
7 Likes

heh

tying logic to framerate

good joke

:genki:

1 Like

Hey if it was good enough for quake 1