Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

math rounding errors are cool though

This sounds like an incredible balancing mechanic.

In nu-Doom if you brought up the time-slowing weapon switch menu while a BFG ball is fired, everything took damage in real time anyway and died. You could kill bosses with a single BFG shot. Probably they patched that by now though.

5 Likes

Link please

Iā€™d like to think that was an homage to the elecbeam pause trick from Mega Man

4 Likes

itā€™s on SEā€™s youtube. should be pretty easy to find!

trust me you donā€™t want to watch it

in the original release Dark Souls 2, the framerate affected how much damage weapons took when you struck walls/enemies/the ground. So on PC (which had a higher end possible framerate) weapons would wear out much faster. The price you pay for hi-fi next-gen grafix i guess!

This had the side effect of making weapon durability actually matter, so it was kind of a good bug

lol this fuckin sucks

Reminds me of how much Iā€™d want to kill myself if I worked in a Gamestop and had to hear this sort of stuff in the neverending TV ads

2 Likes

at least I could ā€˜accidentallyā€™ turn the volume down back when I worked there

my understanding is that volume is now corporate-controlled

I waved to the Gamestop film crew as they filmed our office on Friday, but I didnā€™t bring myself to say hit to Mark and Eddie in Gamestop Muskegon

2 Likes

the way they wrote it, you lost durability for every frame your weapon was in contact with the hitbox of something else

including scenery objects you could not destroy or summoned phantoms

you could literally break your greatsword just swinging at your friends a few times, it was kind of busted

Absolutely disgusting. I can deal with most visual propaganda in a workplace ā€“ Iā€™ll avert my eyes and focus on other stuff ā€“ but when you decide what I have to hear the whole timeā€¦ 1000000% Fuck Off. Iā€™m sure I wouldā€™ve quit my retail job long ago if they played music over the loudspeakers.

we just had a discman wired into the PA playing bad weezer b-sides when I worked at gamestop

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s bizarre! I wouldā€™ve imagined the durability hit would be tied to a hit actually connecting with an attack, and not activating when passing harmlessly through a phantom.

[furiously makes 30 minute lore video explaining why phantoms are highly abrasive]

8 Likes

This is the new Crystal Chronicles-style hardware improbability.

1 Like

itā€™s so beautiful to use VR to make a game where you spend most of your time sitting in a chair looking at screens

1 Like

Is this Artemis with a license, and content?

(beta) patch for vanquish: http://steamcommunity.com/app/460810/discussions/0/1290691308573046864/

the first company to make a game in which you own an apartment in VR and can decorate it and invite people over and thatā€™s it will make enough money to install rocket boosters on their building and blast off into space

3 Likes