Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

thank you … for remembering …

(We open-sourced it but at this point requires a rebuild to get it working properly on contemporary iOS platforms.)

1 Like

Far Cry 5 takes place in the U.S. of A. I guess they realized they couldn’t keep upping the ante on “exotic locales”

1 Like

I would argue that Montana is pretty exotic for most of America, nevermind the world

1 Like

i was in montana once to stay with some friends-of-friends

it was in the middle of winter, during a snowstorm, and we got the ‘guest house’, which was a rickety shack on a cliff face with no indoors heating.

life’s more exciting in montana

6 Likes

they’re going to have fun releasing against Red Dead 2

2 Likes

This makes me think of that newer Eric Chahi game that no one played that I have and thought was cool but didn’t finish

Near Cry

5 Likes

from dust?

it was OK, it just seemed a little too narrow

hmm, I sure like From Dust; I wish they had figured out how to make a game around the tech. I’ve always thought making it a gardening/ecology game (like how I understand Birthdays: The Beginning to work) would make the most of the terrain generation.

Love the theming, too.

1 Like

mechner’s recent karateka remake was similarly good-but-not-enough

It felt pretty flat from the demo, but it definitely showed his genius for framing devices. He should just consult at early story development on every big project

1 Like

Ultimately I think it was just too finnicky, or at least encouraged finnickiness in some inherently unhealthy way. I liked it though. I should probably go back and restart/finish.

Definitely. There was a point where you can tell they’re scrambling to increase difficulty, when they introduce a shifting water table and ask you to action-glob the sand to lead the tribespeople to safety.

It was like petting a cat backwards

Is this supposed to be a liberal revenge fantasy against midwest trump voters.

1 Like

look what you did

1 Like
5 Likes

finally !

3 Likes

would a spiritual sequel just be a direct sequel with el shaddai

5 Likes