Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

[quote][quote=“Felix, post:4030, topic:197, full:true”]it’s not clear how popular they will ever become (e.g. whether they’ll be a stock addition to a desktop PC)
[/quote]

FPGAs are really slow compared to a fixed microchip. But they can sometimes be faster than an algorithm running on a non-custom chip. So they fall into these small-scale niche that are important enough to justify hardware, but not important enough to justify mass-produced hardware. For example, bitcoin mining went from CPU → GPU → FPGA → proper microchips as it scaled up.
[/quote]

Speaking of, neural net coprocessors are already past the point of FPGA:

It feels like FPGAs are in this weird spot like tape drives. Always gonna be around for niche purposes (just like tapes are still used for cold archival backups), never mainstream.

Where are you that people aren’t constantly bitching about details about the things they like and don’t like all the time?

I slam open the door knocking over @VastleCania and the tastey snack tray.

DID SOMEONE SAY STEINS;GATE??

4 Likes

In hot fashion news. There was a shop in Akiba that had a bunch of sega shoes and bags and also Terrible Quality iron-on level shirts of Megadrive Boxart covers (Landstalker, altered beast, shinobi). They came in oversized clamshell boxes of the games. I would have bought one if they werent made of horrible fabric and terrible and overpriced.

Instead I bought a shirt with high class toriyama art for seven dollars.

4 Likes

I’d wear a low quality landstalker shirt in a heartbeat.

Suitably rad

lovely tech

I hope they get music to replace “Corporate Success / Upbeat #3” from the demo track soon because I couldn’t hit that mute fast enough

1 Like

oh wow cool!

I’ve noticed that the only UE4 games that look good have that sort of weird clay effect to them, idk what that’s about

If there’s a music volume slider I think this might be a cool game to provide your own soundtrack to

Proud to be among the couple dozen people in the world looking forward to Senko no Ronde 2 just for the soundtrack. I have no idea how G-Rev et al justified a sequel or how it will be profitable, but there must be some audience…

2 Likes

Just got this for 4 bucks. As with all Taito mobile games, the soundtrack was worth the price of admission alone, and the crossover, well, just makes sense.

3 Likes

Above vs. Below focused down on one of the best combinations sounds reasonable, sure.

1 Like

1 Like

Azure Striker Gunvolt 1/2 confirmed to now run at 60fps in this Switch version.

I don’t know where to link streams on this board anymore, so!

https://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh

BBH is attempting to 1CC a whole lot of arcade games this weekend on live stream. The schedule’s here: http://bbh.marpirc.net/1ccbbh

Gonna be leavin’ this on all weekend here!

2 Likes

You’ve killed the past, now kill the life!

3 Likes

selectbutton.net
now kill the life!

2 Likes

I actually visited Matthew Brown’s site a couple weeks back as I was curious if there was any sign of another one of these coming up. I know what I’m playing Friday.

Arkanoid vs Space Invaders is giving me … feelings :confused:

1 Like

I played a game similar to it once, I think it was called pongvaders or something, it was pretty cool

2 Likes