Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

Like, why would people hate on Patreon exactly? I guess I don’t get it.

EDIT: I mean, other than the fact that we live a capitalist nightmare where people can’t survive without creating a brand and a subscription model for their whole life. I guess that’s pretty shitty. But still, I’d rather have a way to pay people I like than not.

7 Likes

Patreon’s absolutely fine and fills a much needed niche.

At least people who are on it are actually creating things and it’s a good way to support niche creators.

This guy, uh, just has some really strange ideas on how any of this works.

And yeah I’ve played God of Thunder; the game’s not hard to find now, either. It’s very DOS Shareware in a lot of ways.

it’s mostly this – I might also be mis-remembering but I think that at the beginning, patreon operated on a “per piece of work” basis, which I thought was not great for creators whose work didn’t lend itself well to releasing work often that people can react to

it’s since changed a lot so that’s good

dril makes $2000+/mo from patreon

idk if this means patreon is good or bad but it is definitely a key detail

6 Likes

yeah they just started doing that and I’m extremely glad it’s working out

It’s good

I could get mad about it because clearly my art is way better than anything dril has done but I’d prefer someone gets a voluntarily given living wage for shitposting and not being a sack of shit yacht club evil fucker who inherited and hoards all their wealth

Patreon is like the best thing to ever happen to artists

5 Likes

yeah Patreon is a net good no matter how many people might use it for stupid shit. i mean it’s a patron’s right to reward the stupid shit they like, anyway.

art is part of the fight

Patreon is good. That dude’s approach to Patreon is sad.

As far as I’m aware that is still available as a choice to the individual with the Patreon page.

I have near zero confidence in this in 201X

I’ll grant it a therapeutic importance but no real agency

Not going to beat this to a pulp but in the case of Patreon specifically the biggest thing on it is Chapo and that’s a total choirpreaching exercise

2 Likes

It’s been a long time, but suddenly, I remember how it feels to be excited about a Microsoft announcement

1 Like

We all need therapy.

1 Like

that’s good, except for the part where you have to play it on an Xbone or Windows 10

1 Like

Doubtless

Though braving the feudal grovelgauntlet of Patreon etc seems fairly countertherapeutic and personal resource intensive

Thingmaking can be undertaken without

It just makes me sad

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m posting this earnestly or not. Have to see how it goes first.

Not if you want to make any of the money you deserve doing it.

No one should have to sing for supper whatsoever, desert oughta be completely beside the point

Busking has always made me very angry at the world

Muttter band-aid over axewound mutter

I mean, no argument there.

I dig that people get to make a living 'cause of Patreon but I felt icky the whole time I was on there. Highly suspicious of anyone comfortable branding and promoting themselves to that degree.

The time I spent promoting myself is better spent promoting UBI to politicians.

Also in videogames it seems you have to be a writer to get by of the thing : /

Yep.