Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

Also Patreon likes to send out these terrible emails that remind me that I’m endorsing a bunch of tech-hippy-marketing losers. So uuuuuuuu

2 Likes

Phantom Dust remake is out tomorrow for Xbone/Win10 and it’s free?!

2 Likes

Argh, need for video card upgrade is rising.

Here’s hoping it isn’t too hobbled by F2P bullshit.

The guy producing it at MS said there’s a MT that unlocks everything from the start but otherwise, same structure of the original game. You earn all the cards by playing Single and Multiplayer and some cards can only be unlocked in those modes just like the original game and there won’t be any new cards made for it.

I think the only thing they said would be a radical departure would be that card stats for online are being held server side so they can make balance changes as needed as some arsenal builds in the original were really OP. So it will download new stats every time you play if there has been a balance change.

Has really low specs as well so you might be able to manage it.

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 | AMD Radeon HD 7750
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection]

So we’re all playing this tonight US East time if it’s unlocked, right

This might be the first time I open the win10 store. Still pipe dreaming that Gears and maybe this can escape that closed garden.

the new sonic character is literally your own oc

9 Likes

Sonic Team finally found the internet. Congrats.

what’s so interesting about phantom dust? I missed it first time around

Post-apocalyptic arena deathmatch slash trading card game. Despite being funded by Microsoft Game Studios, it was a Japanese Xbox exclusive until the dying days of the system, when it got a budget US release.

basically, it feels like a virtual on-style japanese versus arcade game, which means it’s fundamentally a jankfest with a bad third person camera and weird geometry and lots of projectile spam, but if you can get over all that it’s a lot of fun and there are still very few games of this style that get localized. in 2017 it’ll just read as, like, a weird moba with overcomplicated loadouts.

also an unusually apropos scalebound consolation prize

The maniacs.

I think this is more a consolation of the new Multiplayer Phantom Dust that they had a studio working on but then canceled because MS wanted a single player but didn’t want to allocate anymore time or money after expanding the scope.

yeah, if nothing else it makes a good “I don’t think we can sell this as is but people will still want to play it so it helps the platform at least” PS2 callback ala let it die

I still don’t understand how the weightless-yet-slow avatar movement in games like this ever became so popular in midbudget Japanese games, it seems like a collective hallucination from the dreamcast

how many different ways can we explain what phantom dust is

it’s like mario kart battle mode except you decide what’s in the boxes

9 Likes

It’s like a visualization of a Magic the Gathering battle, except in a cyberpunk post-apocalypse from Japan, and nobody has Creature Cards or really worries about mana that much.

1 Like

Preferable to the utterly modern animation driven systems that can’t possibly process you walking one step because the shortest animation is three steps, and can’t turn without a five second delay because real humans don’t work that way game control be damned

I’m all for weighty movement but most of our top-budget games are collapsing on this front

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s making me angrier right now, the official existence of Dount Steel original characters or Virtual-On being referred to as a “jankfest”

5 Likes

meanwhile:

http://www.mechadamashii.com/videos/videos-gundam-versus-officially-announced-for-north-america-and-europe/

LET’S GO

3 Likes

also if everyone is jumping on Phantom Dust, that means we’ll be playing Halo 5 eventually, right

right

1 Like