Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I don’t know where else to talk about this but a couple War Nerd episodes recently have been on the history of the Uyghurs, which has ended up stretching over hours about the ethnic origin of the Turks in Mongolia and a big history of western China and central Asia and it is my everything right now

Open World Dynasty Warriors sounds amazing bc how could you make the level design even wider and featureless, but by god they’re prepared to do it

If you can scale a single hill in an organic way I’ll explode

4 Likes

Except this new DQ looks noticably worse than every other recent 3D DQ. Compare it to Musou or well the cutscenes in those wii ones. There is a distinct absense of /texture/ to the in game stuff. I am putting this back to back in my mind with how Ni no Kuni a 5 year old game looks. Or the overflowing money in FFXV. DQX does not look great but you can kind of forgive it for it’s wii origins.

This is like wtf is dynamic lighting or shaders lol. Dragon Quest 8 PS2 still looks wonderful. I have been stuck watching the trailer a lot and it has gone from “that looks bad” to it offends me.

I will still probably buy it when it drops to 900 yens 3 weeks after release.

FFXV has already gone for the full curve and is back up to around 3000 yen. This means they definitely printed less copies than 13. That shit was 500 yen for months.

I mean, aside from the second one being clearly more inspired by the SNES FF games, sure whatever.

DQXI looks very good imo. And no random battles!!!

I will play it and enjoy the GRFX to the maximum

2 Likes

Oh that makes sense I thought you were talking about the character designs or whatever. It still looks better than Heroes to me though, idk.

let me pretend for just 5 minutes that they are actually going to make a game as interesting to move around in as all of those landscape screenshots they released today suggest it could be

As Not Great as I find these games, this is a big shame.

1 Like

Honestly if you’re a joyless PC gamer like me though they’re so weird it’s impossible not to find them worthwhile to play. Even though they’re bad.

1 Like

like all Remedy games it has excellent set dressing and sparkling moments

it’s very good at a specific fear of the dark woods at night, with a very bright light become a dim candle against the black

the diner and lodge are as well-decorated as a Yakuza convenience store

1 Like

Also, the sunset right at the beginning of the game is a really good one

And like, whose idea was it to take the first one which is like “what if Max Payne but replace Hong Kong Blood Opera with Adaptation” and then in the second one turn it into an arcade score shooter??? A genius’, that’s whose.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/tindelljk/status/863919751864750084

this person seems in a bad rut

1 Like

Appropriate avatar though.

hey, he’s got one patron now

for $1/month

everyone’s gotta start somewhere

1 Like

His game reminds me a bit of God of Thunder for DOS. Which I enjoyed quite a bit as a kid, good puzzles at least, although it’s also the kind of game that made me envy my friends who had an SNES:

1 Like

hearing the words “support me on paetreon” both annoys me deeply

but also makes me sad for the legitimate people on there who need support for things that our society is failing

either way i’m broke and can’t give to anybody

No art until the fight is over

I’m fairly serious

1 Like

I used to be really down on patreon but like, it legit supports a lot of marginalized artists so I can’t really hate on a platform that does that

most people aren’t as thirsty about it as this person tho

1 Like