Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

sure is unfortunate that Eidos has been the only productive arm of the company for the last decade

4 Likes

JC3 and Hitman are two of the best games of the generation

idk about this

I’m not sure what to make of it. all those great dog days trailers were probably thanks to square’s trailer people. but they were probably never going to be allowed to make nothing else but hitman with them. they specifically mentioned back with absolution that they didn’t want to keep making the same hitman game over and over

yeah, but they were in a pretty damn good place in 2016 in spite of all that, and they seemed like they were going to get another campaign’s worth of levels out which I wouldn’t have minded at all

they’re kicking out hitman because they need more money to fulfill yoko taro’s vision for ffxvi

4 Likes

give him the matsuno anxiety attack promotion

3 Likes

better than the usual japanese video game company promotion of no longer being involved in making video games

1 Like

Dragon quest XI PS4 looks as bad as an early 360 jRPG with no art style and Lord do I wish I knew why.

Hasn’t utterly generic visual presentation been a longstanding trademark of the series

If it gets too interesting or identifiable it’s no longer pure comfort food

what? the dragon quest series is one of the most immediately identifiable of jrpgs in toto

4 Likes

1 Like

I wonder if devolver and paradox think of one another as competition since they really dominate the midbudget publishing space now

For the cover art and battle presentation, yeah. If you’re looking at almost any environment on its own, not really. It only started to be pretty separable from generic RPG-Maker-like appearances with the eighth game

Wasn’t that more due to the RPG Maker tiles being based on DQ than vice versa though?

Also I would say the original version of 7 was pretty distinctive in its environments.

1 Like

it makes sense because windows 10 has finally reached a point where it’s basically sane and caught up to its competition (the way windows 7 did pretty much upon release in 2009), and no small developer wants to have to support multiple platforms, but man, windows gaming is really roaring on ahead this year. lots of smaller releases that you’d think would have shot for Mac/Linux if this were 2014 – e.g. Long Journey Home, Tokyo 42, Edith Finch – just haven’t.

it also makes sense purely because apple has forgotten how to ship a machine with a GPU and the linux marketshare that everyone was pretending for a while might materialize never did, but even so. oh well!

Oh, yes. I’m not saying that RPGM preceded DQ.

I just think that easy applicability, the fact that that look could translate over to a sort of ready-made non-specific package, is evidence of its innate genericism.

I don’t really see any notable difference between this and this.

Yeah I still like the way Dragon Quest looks, the new one looks like Dragon Quest and so it looks good

speaking of me having bad taste I guess, I came here to confess that I’m starting to get mega hype over the new Dynasty Warriors game. In spite of my dangerous obsession with the subject matter, I’ve never been able to get into these games, but the new one looks like it is going to add a bit more depth and breadth to the crusty 1 vs 1000 combat gimmick. Depending on how it works out, the game could be either a cool medieval chinese walking simulator (which is basically everything I’ve ever wanted from a video game) or a pretty good hybrid of the strategy of traditional Rot3K games with the action of the DW series

but it will probably just end up a glossy hot mess, as is typical of this age

I still have hope

i’m not a praying man, but i’ll do all i can to pray this gets on Switch

yes, I need medieval fantasy games from other places

unfortunately I’m told Aurion turned out very poor, just running with JRPG tropes.

I’ve been watching the PS4 Bladestorm (the strategy-er Musou set in the 100 years war) because I think that can represent the last ten years in one game