Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

you can’t play M.A.G.

no one can play M.A.G.

2 Likes

MAG sucked bro

I’m hanging onto mine for PS1 and PS2 emulation

emulating a console on another console (particularly when it’s scaling a 480i framebuffer up to a modern TV) just isn’t that desirable to me! emulation on a handheld is neat because usually it doesn’t require fussing with original media and offers a new way to play the game, but the emulation shipped with that thing in 2006 is just not that valuable. if there were multi classics on the PS1 or PS2 still in heavy rotation I could maybe see it since those are a good thing to have Just Work on your TV, but neither console really excelled in that, and I have a computer that already has a cable running to my living room projector if I ever wanted it

1 Like

Dude you know I can’t spend literally three seconds dealing with and/or configuring an emulator. I just can’t.

But I do have all these PS1 and PS2 discs sitting around, and I can put them in the fat PS3 and the game plays

3 Likes

It’s also very rare that a circa 2006-2007 Spider-Man model is still working at all, let alone the miniature PS2 inside it.

1 Like

Well when it breaks I’ll throw it away

1 Like

this is definitely a personality thing and is completely defensible; I find physical media “inconvenient” but literally every other part of my setup is an inconceivable annoyance to most regular-ass people

and this is an artifact of never having been a) broke enough to want to sell your old games, b) fed up enough with videogames to want to sell your old games, c) moving thousands of miles enough to want to sell your old games, or d) unwilling to invest in and retain physical media for various reasons down to personal preference

Naw, when it breaks put it in the oven!

2 Likes

in GPU news

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11367/nvidia-volta-unveiled-gv100-gpu-and-tesla-v100-accelerator-announced

they’re doing what’s basically a second half-shrink of maxwell (which was GTX 9xx; GTX 10xx pascal being the first shrink), which I didn’t expect. however, right now it doesn’t seem like anything other than just a half-shrink, and it’s extremely expensive & positioned for the high-end compute market only, while being realistically only 1.5x as powerful, at most, as 1080 Ti / Titan X 2016.

I haven’t even heard of anyone else trying to ship a “12nm” process so idk if they’ll ever push this as a consumer product or wait until they have another actual new architecture (like maxwell) or a bigger shrink (to 7-10nm). but I’m surprised they’re already trying to make something more powerful than the ~10tflop range since I expected GPUs to sit there for a couple years at least. if 12nm is actually profitable (and thus cheap enough to make consume(r |_)products from), a refresh of their ~200w pascal GPUs would be pretty attractive.

1 Like

MAG was the best poorly made and, after 6 months, the most poorly retooled and rebalanced game I had the pleasure of playing with a bunch of Japanese people because I was always playing in the middle of the day which just so happens to be their primetime

I played the MAG beta! It was actually not that bad, at least my experience with it wasn’t.

they talked big that you could 256 players in a match

half the time, you would be playing in the 64 player mode because that’s where people were. the 128-player mode was terrible and also a wasteland and the 256-player mode popped often enough and then you play it and realize most of the time you’re getting funneled into conveniently 64-player sized chunks

PS2 emulation still kind of sucks. Games are perfectly playable but the ‘minor’ graphics glitches often are so large in number that the experience is sub-par. Also PCSX2 doesn’t use exclusive full-screen so there’s some extra lag. Note that I’m stupidly anal-retentive, but I don’t blame you for preferring to play PS2 games on your PS3.

all this PS3 talk and no Nier. I never had a PS3 and that’s the game I need to pick one up for at some point in our dark future

Also on 360. And rumors are flying of an HD remaster.

Good, now they just need to lose Eidos so I don’t see “HUGE Square Enix sale!!!” only to click and be blasted with 400 DLC packs for Tomb Raider and its cohorts and Deus Ex: We Did Another One

When’s Dog Days 2?

2 Likes

Hell Yes.