Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

I love that they did this in such a close recreation of the SNES tactics ogre engine because that one doesn’t really have much salience outside of japan

are they actually announcing anything here?

Wait, is this a feature phone game that they’re porting?

I get the impression they just wanted to make a fun trailer for new FF14 content. the sprites are completely authentic but the font is not.

y’all should play SNES tactics ogre btw, it’s great, the PSP version is terrible

1 Like

April Fools #Content i guess?
i’ve still not recovered from the last time i played tactics ogre and i lost canopus most of the way through one of the several maps without saving bits

hey is ogre battle worth playing in the year of our lord 2017?

As much as I love SNES RPGS with a PS controller and FF and RWD mapped to R2/L2, I’d have a hard time playing through the original Ogre Battle.

I like Ogre Battle a lot more than Tactics Ogre; Tactics has easily Matsuda’s best story (the only time I really think he successfully expresses his history and political sense with the player’s experience of the narrative), but I find playing it to be an absolute chore. The character progression is sparse and boring and the fights themselves aren’t risky enough and never have decisive turns, so it just feels like a long slow grind.

Ogre Battle still has an interesting take on strategy and I like the removed agency the player has, plus it’s super-handsome.

1 Like

this sounds like you played the PSP version

I did but nobody said they adjusted the unit balance! It tracked with my experience playing the GBA game so I assumed that’s how Tactics Ogre worked.

they absolutely ruined the unit balance, and the character progression, and the decisiveness of individual turns in battles

the original game is basically the only SRPG in history where permadeath actually works because the only thing your guys have that the units you can persuade from the other team don’t is maybe different stat progression from training them as another class (early game archer -> late game witch is the only really strong example here); the whole skill system is just busywork garbage that was attached to the PSP game.

coincidentally, a lot of people report finding the original hard to get into because they lose so many units in the early game and have to resort to boring training battles to grind. no, you’re just supposed to sacrifice a few guys!

also you have more units on PSP, and all the battles are slower and mushy crap

anyway there’s a reason I’m so aggressively dismissive of square returning to any of these old properties, and this is the reason

1 Like

I’m gonna be such a pill when people are playing the FF12 remaster with its pointless broken job system rather than the original

Well, no reason I can’t load up SNES Tactics Ogre on my Vita emulator now, so

2 Likes

What’s broken about the job system in the remaster, other than it doesn’t force you as much to build each character a certain way?

the fuck

1 Like

Admins and moderators can’t be deleted

the fuck

10 Likes

i still think the biggest problem with the xii remaster is not putting it on vita, i mean i would like all jrpgs on vita but this one in particular

Having all gambits available + the fully instrumentalized soundtrack + HD (sorry, I don’t like playing games on a laptop) easily justify it for me

1 Like

they did a nice job with the art and music I guess and the savestate system is interesting but they honestly ruined every single core game system

it seemed like it was made by people who did not understand the original game, the pacing and the balance were just gone

and almost no one writing about it picked up on this, which is why I have to admin my own dang games forum so I have someplace to complain about it with a low enough signal to noise ratio

4 Likes

the character builds are just shit this way though. it makes the license grid into like, sub-FFX crap where you’re not actually building a character, and the combinations you can acquire are significantly less interesting than those in the original game

I’m pretty spectrumy about “system whose original purpose has been misplaced” in general, but every time they’ve touched up a matsuno game it’s been utterly appalling to me

you could easily plug your laptop into a projector? it probably has an HDMI dongle on the side and can run the game in 1080p no problem?

i used to always hear people talk about how they wish they had played the zodiac version of xii but i don’t think the changes that were made were to the things these people disliked about xii.

ps4 ff12 is getting another rebalance anyway

i dig psp tactics ogre but i have a weakness for yoshida & the ridiculous purple translation
lets just say i’d much rather play psp tactics ogre than fuckin’ fire emblem

can’t argue with this though