Mystery Science News Thread 3,000

ugh that’s tempting but inquisition was so bad

It helps that “we” are trying it out. I just get to sit back and relax and cringe at the unimproved facial animation.

I still don’t understand what they’re going for with the characters; I think it’s supposed to be cartoony-ish next to realistic backdrops but I can’t rule out sudden incompetence?

yes again

this hits my favorite beats of The Invisibles and Tree of Life and Oikospiel and I can’t not love this (it’s also great how they’re more effectively exploring these thoughts/emotions than Maxis’ self-inflicted murder on a fraction of the budget)

1 Like

weird how you can mention terence malick and imply self-inflicted murder is bad in the same post

I laughed but I don’t quite understand the joke

yeah it was more in the delivery than in the actual joke, I just find him overindulgent

From what I’ve seen of Everything in the past, it’s less of a game than Noby Noby Boy

it doesn’t have progression and mastery but it has discovery and wonder and beauty and is straining for some capital-T Truth, so

I liked Alan Watts early in high school but he is like the definition of white zen

2 Likes

I think it’s a lot more interesting when it’s made emotionally believable through art than as intellectual fodder where it seems quite obvious. But there’s a big gap between knowing something and believing it and art lets me reach the latter for a brief time; it’s beautiful to see beyond death even if only for brief periods

Noby Noby Boy and Everything are exactly the sorts of things I point to when I argue in favor of the existence of the term “video toy” to distinguish (not disparage) certain soft-wares from others, but it’s yet to catch on

That’s fine; (I find classification discussions mostly pointless but) I just think of toy-like games as a set within the larger set of video games, within the larger set of games.

Or,
( toy games ⊆ video games ) ⊆ games

I’m a bit of a classification nerd when it comes to some things I guess

is it bad that i can’t differentiate alan watts and carl sagan? i’m not american so i think i’m allowed to. i was like wow this must have been a particularly metaphysical episode of cosmos!

anyway looks like a big weird game filled with stuff, openly goofy and poetically ambitious. i’ll be all over it. whatever noby noby boy is i have grubbed it and pressed it with my hand-eye coordination for hours at a time.

1 Like

From the same folks as the recent Megaman Collection, holy cow!

5 Likes

$20!

Should have put this in the Steals thread.

I played EVERYTHING at GDC and had a wonderful time with it. It’s really cool to chill with, but yeah, it’s more of a toy and I’m not sure how much content there really is despite the name. But I had a great time with it!

it’s funny how much more perceptible those are as “megaman engine” now than they were to me as a kid

1 Like